The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 44 (Edition 193 9/24/16)
Feature of the Week: Michael Giannini Departs General Cigar
Michael Giannini, the dynamic and creative personality who rose to the title of General Cigar’s Creative Director and Director of Innovation has left the company after 17 years. Giannini is best known for his work with La Gloria Cubana and Foundry. We got the details here.
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
This week we wrapped up our daily reports since IPCPR has closed. We will have some occasional pieces coming up, including some more feature stories. We now resume our regular programming.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: We recapped the company’s second IPCPR.
- General Cigar: We looked at the new La Estrella Cubana value priced line.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: We looked at the Rocky Patel Catch Twenty-Two Connecticut and the Rocky Patel Platinum Limited Edition.
- Cattle Baron Cigars: We recapped the company’s first IPCPR.
- Illusione: We looked deeper in the company’s major portfolio expansion including: Cigares Prive, Cruzado, ~eccj~, Fume D’Amour Concepciones, Garagiste, Haut 10, Rothchildes CT /Gigantes CT, Singulare, and Ultra line extensions.
- La Aurora Cigars: We looked at the new limited edition La Aurora 107 Cosecha.
- Sindicato: We took a look a the resurrection of the Particulares brand.
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The A.J. Fernandez New World Churchill will be a new size that will be exclusively available through Meier & Dutch.
- Davidoff: The grand opening of the Davidoff Lounge at Havana Phil’s Cigar Company, located in Greensboro, North Carolina took place.
- Espinosa Cigars: We took a look at the eight new offerings in the company’s lounge exclusive Backroom Series.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 167.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week two new co-sponsors were added. This includes: Brad Wenstrup [R-Ohio] and Mike Bishop [R-Michigan]. The total number of sponsors is now at 78.
- Colorado: Amendment 72 is being proposed that would raise OTP tobacco taxes 22%
- Wyoming: A legislative committee has rejected a tobacco tax increase.
- PDR Nicaraguan Reserve Toro
- E.P. Carrillo Inch Colorado No. 62
- Espinosa Wasabi (Part of the Backroom Series)
- Tatuaje Skinny Jekyll
Agile Cigar Review
This week was Episode 201 for Stogie Geeks. Our special guest was Mel Shah of Bombay Tobak. For our Debonaire Ideal, we talked about Planning a Cigar Road Trip. Finally we had our Stogies of the Week:
PDR Nicaraguan Reserve Toro
Caldwell Anastasia Caspia
E.P. Carrillo INCH Colorado No. 62
Ivy Porcelain (Viva Republica)
La Gran Llave Robusto
La Jugada Claro No. 1 by MoyaRuiz Cigars
La Prov Natural Toro
Leaf by Oscar Connecticut Lancero
Opus X BBMF Natural 2010
RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance BA XXI A.W.S. IV
Tatuaje Skinny Jekyll
Stogie Geeks News
This week on Stogie Geeks News, we look at Illusione’s IPCPR releases, discuss the departure of Michael Giannini, and provide an FDA Update.
On this date September 24th…
- September 24th 2010: We visited Nero’s Cigars in Haddonfield, NJ
- September 24th 2010: We took a look at Tropical Storm Matthew and its potential impact to Central America.
- September 24th 2010: We assessed the Nestor Miranda’s Art Deco Gran Toro.
- September 24th 2011: We assessed the Gurkha Royal Challenge
- September 24th 2011: We did assessment updates on the Room 101 Namakubi, Torano Loyal, and CAO OSA Sol.
- September 24h 2012: We previewed the CLE Connecticut.
- September 24h 2012: We reposted the press release announce that Emilio Cigars would distribute Global Premium Cigars.
- September 24th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment on the La Flor Dominicana Limitado V.
- September 24th 2012: We previewed the Tatuaje TAA 2012.
- September 24th 2013: We reported on the launch of MLB Cigar Ventures.
- September 24th 2013: We assessed the Casa Fernandez Miami Reserva Maduro.
- September 24th 2013: We reported on the Sons of Anarchy by Black Crown.
- September 24th 2014: We assessed the Regius of London Claro Especial Exclusivo U.S.A. Fat Perfecto.
- September 24th 2014: We did a Feature Story on “ Enrique Sanchez Discusses 1502 Nicaragua and More“
- September 24th 2015: We assessed the Gurkha Heritage Toro.
- September 24th 2015: We reported on FedEx ending tobacco shipments.