The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 10 (Edition 211 1/28/17)
Cigar Coop Announces Partnership with Kiss My Ash Radio
We are proud to be the official news provider to Kiss My Ash Radio. We got the details here.
Feature of the Week: Letter Sent by Congressman to Vice President Mike Pence
Three United States Congressman sent a letter to Vice President Mike Pence urging the Trump Administration to suspend enforcement of the FDA Deeming Rules on premium cigars. The letter was by Rep. Bill Posey (R-Florida), Rep.Duncan Hunter (R-California), and Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pennsylvania).
Year in Review
This week we wrapped up our Year in Review Coverage. We recap everything here:
- Cigar of the Year Countdown
- The Value Rankings of the Countdown
- A Tale of Two Lanceros
- Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories / Themes of 2016
- Cigar Industry Person of the Year-Carlos Fuente, Sr.
- Cigar Industry Person of the Year-The Honorable Mentions
- Factory of the Year (Small / Single): La Zona
- Factory of the Year (Large / Multi-Faceted): Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia
- Best Brand Performance for 2016
- Vitola Performance Ratings for 2016
- Country of Origin Performance for 2016
- Single Shop Exclusive Performance Ratings for 2016
- Black Label Trading Company: The announced a cigar batch of its J.W. Marshall cigar for Cigar Federation.
- Cigar Media Association: The association announced its 2016 Award Winners.
- Gurkha: Announced it will be expanding in the Mexican market.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week 13 co-sponsors were added including: Rep William Lacy Clay [D-Missouri], Rep Peter Roskam [R-Illinois], Rep Thomas Rooney [R-Florida], Rep Bradley Byrne [R-Alabama], Rep John Duncan Jr [R-Tennessee], Rep Glenn Thompson [R-Pennsylvania], Rep Bob Goodlatte [R-Virginia], Rep Andy Barr [R-Kentucky], Rep Ted Budd [R-NC], Rep Bennie Thompson [R-Mississippi], Rep Michael Turner [R-Ohio], Rep Alexander Mooney [R-West Virginia], and Rep John Katko [R-New York]. The total number of sponsors is now 53.
- Arizona: A bill has been introduced to raise the Smoking Age to 21.
- Connecticut: State Representative Prasad Srinivasan has introduced legislation to raise the minimum smoking age to 21.
- Mississippi: Legislation has been introduced to the State House and State Senate that proposes raising age to purchase tobacco products to 21.
- New York: Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal has once again introduced legislation to raise the age to purchase tobacco products to 21. In addition Governor Andrew Cuomo’s budget calls for a proposal to replace the current cigar tax with a 45 cent flat tax.
- North Dakota; Legislators have introduced HB 1312 that proposes raising the purchasing of tobacco and smoking age to 19.
- Texas: Legislation has been introduced by State Representative John Zerwas and State Senator Carlos Uresti have introduced legislation to raise the age to purchase tobacco to 21.
- Washington: Legislators have once again introduced a bill to raise the smoking age to 21.
- White House: We covered what President Trump’s freeze on new regulations mean to the cigar industry ?
On this date January 28th…
- January 28th 2012: We reported on the Emilio Grimalkin re-branding as La Musa
- January 28th 2012: We previewed Ortega Cigars.
- January 28th 2013: We assessed the Le Navarre (The French Puro)
- January 28th 2014: We reported on the opening of the Drew Estate “DE2” Leaf Processing Facility
- January 28th 2014: We assessed the Pinolero Maduro by A.J. Fernandez Cigars
- January 28th 2014: We reported on the Oliva Melanio Double Toro and DeSocio line extensions.
- January 28th 2015: We reported on the Punch Rare Corojo 2015 release.
- January 28th 2015: We reported on plans for MoyaRuiz Cigars’ “The Rake”.
- January 28th 2015: We assessed the Quesada Keg (2015)
- January 28th 2015: We reported on a plans for the 262 Roadhouse.
- January 28th 2016: We reported Zino Platinum’s newBrand Ambassadors and “The Remake” Project
- January 28th 2016: We reported on plans for Drew Estate to distribute Debonaire and Indian Motorcycle Cigars
- January 28th 2016: We assessed the A. Flores 1975 Serie Privada Capa Maduro SP52 by PDR Cigars