The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 11 (Edition 212 2/4/17)
Feature of the Week: Drew Estate Names Jonathan Drew President
Jonathan Drew, the co-founder of Drew Estate is back in a day to day operations role. This past week, he was named Drew Estate’s President. When Swisher International acquired Drew Estate, Drew’s role had changed to a more brand ambassador role. We got the details here.
- Drew Estate: In addition to naming Jonathan Drew President, the company also named David Lazarus Named Senior Vice President of Sales.
- D’Crossier Cigars: The company is getting ready to release its D’Crossier Flor de D’Crossier Enormous 360 Claro
- Partagas: General Cigar will release the Partagas Heritage this Spring.
- Quesada: The St. Patrick’s Day seasonal release, the Quesada Keg is returning for 2017 with a tweaked blend and new size.
- Tabacalera USA: Named Rob Norris General Manager for the Altadis U.S.A. premium cigar operations.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week 6 co-sponsors were added including: Rep Patrick Tiberi [R-Ohio], Rep Doug Collins [R-Georgia], Rep Rod Blum [R-Iowa], Rep Diane Black [R-Tennessee], Rep James Sensenbrenner [R-Wisconsin], and Rep Don Young [R-Alaska]. The total number of sponsors is now 59.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. It was introduced by Senator Bill Nelson of Florida this week and currently has ten sponsors.
- Indiana: HB1578 includes language that would raise the legal age to purchase tobacco to 21.
- Ohio: Governor John Katich’s new budget for a proposed 17 percent increase on the State’s OTP tax that would impact cigars.
- Oregon: Senator Elizabeth Steiner Hayward has introduced legislation to raise the State’s Smoking Age to 21.
- Virginia: Steve Landes has introduced House Bill 2220 that would allow cigar shops to serve a limited amount of alcohol.
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Black Label Trading Company Deliverance Nocturne Perfecto (2016 Edition)
- Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Robusto by PDR Cigars
- Matilde Renacer Toro Bravo
- This month’s editorial was “The 2016 Cigar of the Year Post Game Report“
On this date February 4th…
- February 4th 2011: We assessed the Master by Carlos Torano BFC
- February 4th 2011: We looked at Whoopi Goldberg stance against the New York City Outdoor Smoking Ban.
- February 4th 2012: We previewed the Burn by Rocky Patel Cigar (Lounge Exclusive).
- February 4th 2012: We did Assessment Updates on the Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig, and Liga Privada No. 9
- February 4th 2012: We re-posted a press release on General Cigar at Super Bowl XLVI.
- February 4th 2013: We re-posted a press release on the 7-20-4 Hustler.
- February 4th 2013: We previewed the The Pipe and Pint 15th Anniversary by La Flor Dominicana
- February 4th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Kristoff Kristanna.
- February 4th 2014: We reported on the Nat Sherman Mobile App.
- February 4th 2014: We did a pre-release assessment on the 1502 Nicaragua by Global Premium Cigars
- February 4th 2015: We reported on the Viva Republica Jailbreak Features Cigar Within a Cigar (Cigar Preview)
- February 4th 2015: We reported on the RyJ by Romeo y Julieta Corona.
- February 4th 2015: We assessed the Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema Fina
- February 4th 2016: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2016