The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 27 (Edition 228 5/27/17)
Feature of the Week: De Los Reyes Cigars to Sponsor Cigar Coop IPCPR 2017 Coverage
De Los Reyes Cigars, makers of the Saga and Don Julio brands of Cigars and the factory that produces lines such as Debonaire, Indian Motorcycle, Cattle Baron, and Patoro will be the official sponsor of Cigar Coop’s 2017 IPCPR Coverage.
The folks at De Los Reyes have been long-time sponsors of Cigar Coop, and we are really proud to have them as our sponsor. Not only do they make great cigars, but they are great people
We expect our IPCPR Pre Game coverage to kick off in June and we look forward to bringing you the most comprehensive coverage adhering to our #rumorfree #teaserfree philosophy!
Feature of the Week: Davidoff Officially Announces Opening of Honduran Factory
Two years ago, Davidoff announced it was investing in its Central American operations on both the agricultural and production front. This included the construction of a new factory to replace the Camacho factory. This week, the company officially announced the new factory is in operation and gave some details of the new facility.
- MLB Cigar Ventures: The company named Alexandria Kling as its new Vice President of Branding and Inside Sales.
- Boutique Blends: Company co-founders Rafael Nodal and Hank Bischoff discussed the recent Strategic Partnership with Altadis USA on the Smooth Draws Radio Show.
- Davidoff: The company announced details around the Davidoff Art Edition 2017.
- Gurkha: The company will hold a Scavenger Hunt Event in Atlanta on June 3rd
- John Drew Brands: Jonathan Drew’s spirits ventured announced a new Executive Leadership Team.
- Island Lifestyle Importers: The company announced a new line of Tommy Bahama “Cigar Club” Accessories and plans to expand its Island Lifestyle to Expand Aged Reserve Cigar Line.
- Viaje: The Viaje Skull and Bones WMD is returning for 2017.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week four new co-sponsors were added including Jack Bergman [R-Michigan], Brett Guthrie [R-Kentucky], Charles Dent [R-Pennsylvania], and Chuck Fleischmann [R-Tennessee]. The total number of sponsors is now 110.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week one new co-sponsors was added – Bob Goodlatte [R-Virginia]. The total sponsor count is now 63.
- David P. Ehrlich Tremont Toro by MLB Cigar Ventures
- MBombay Corojo Oscuro Gordo
- Camacho Ecuador BXP Toro
- Lamborghini 1963 GTV Maduro
- Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Toro
Agile Cigar Reviews
This week we published a feature story called “A Visit to the JRE Tobacco Company Operations: Part 2-The Agriculture and Curing Operations”
Prime Time Show
For Episode 7, Enrique Sanchez, Founder and CEO of 1502 Cigars was our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment we talked Boxing, and in our Deliberation Segment we looked back one year since the FDA Regulations were announced.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 8 (6/1/17): James Brown, Black Label Trading Co / Black Works Studio
Episode 9 (6/8/17): Riste Riatevski, JSK Cigars, Tom Person (Special Co-Host)
Episode 10 (6/15/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
Episode 11 (6/22/17): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Episode 12 (6/29/17): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company
On this date May 27th…
- May 27th, 2011: We re-posted a press release announcing that Graycliff Cigars maning Torano Family Cigar Company as its official USA distributor.
- May 27th, 2011: We assessed the Emilio Grimalkin.
- May 27th, 2012: We previewed the Liga Privada Unico Serie Papas Fritas by Drew Estate.
- May 27th, 2013: We assessed the Viaje White Label Project (WLP) Super Shot 12 Gauge (2012)
- May 27th, 2014: We reported on the return of the Viaje Skull and Bones FOAB and MOAB for 2014.
- May 27th, 2014: We assessed the Debonaire First Degree.
- May 27th, 2014: We reported on expansion of the Cohiba Comador line.
- May 27th, 2015: We printed a third installment of the Southern Cigar Festival Manufacturer and Brand Owner Guide.
- May 27th, 2016: We reported on the Flor del Valle Sky Flower Corona Cigar Exclusive release.
- May 27th, 2016: We printed a statement from the CAA, CRA, and IPCPR pledging a unified response to FDA Regulations.
- May 27th, 2016: We reported on Kafie 1901 Cigars becoming the distributor of Tabacos San Jeronimo.
- May 27th, 2016: We reported on the return of three cigars by Viaje.