The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 26 Edition 279 (5/19/18)
Feature of the Week: Judge Rules in Favor of FDA on Warning Labels and User Fees
The challenge by the Cigar Industry in regards to warning labels and user fees was struck down by Judge Amit Mehta in U.S. District Court in D.C. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The company announced the ACID Petra is returning as a single shop exclusive to Tobacco Plus
- Villiger: The company opened a new factory in Brazil.
- Crowned Heads: The company has announced the Crowned Heads Las Calaveras EL 2018 id coming in June
- Imperial Brands: The company announced it is targeting divestiture opportunities
- Kristoff: The company is bringing back the Kristoff Vengeance
- Room 101: The Room 101 Farce is heading for its national release.
- Scandinavian Tobacco Group: Announced its Q1 Earnings.
- Viaje: The Viaje Summerfest is returning for 2018.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- Canada: The Canadian Parliament has passed a bill paving the way for plain packaging mandates on tobacco products.
- FDA: The three trade associations (CAA, CRA, and IPCPR), as well as Davidoff, have requested extensions to the public comment period on the premium cigar ANPRM
- House of Representatives: Language has been included for a premium cigar exemption and predicate date change in the House Appropriations Agriculture bill.
- Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Eye of the Shark
- GTO Anesthésia Maduro
- Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch III by Altadis U.S.A.
- Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Lancero
Agile Cigar Reviews
- This week we published “Restructuring the Review Format – The Start“
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
On Episode 53, we broadcasted our FSG Barn Smoker Pre Game with Jeff Borysiewicz live from Corona Cigar.Company. In our Debonaire Ideal segment we discussed Vintage Cubans and finally, in our Deliberation Segment we discussed some retailer topics.
Prime Time Special Edition
On Special Edition #30 we interviewed Casey Haugen of Crux Cigar Company and discussed the court ruling in favor of the FDA.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 54 (5/24/18): TBA – Later Next Week
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #31 (5/21/18): One Year Anniversary with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr.
Special Edition #32 (5/22/18): Indianapolis 500 Preview
On this date May 19th
- May 19th, 2011: We assessed the Ambos Mundos No. 1 by Tatuaje
- May 19th, 2011: We reported some news on the CAO La Traviata
- May 19th, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Pinolero by AJ Fernandez Cigars.
- May 19th, 2013: We reported on the Perdomo Champagne Sun Grown and line extension to the Perdomo 20th Anniversary
- May 19th, 2014: We reported on the Room 101 Big Payback
- May 19th, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Zombie Maduro 2014 (Red Label)
- May 19th, 2014: We reported on IPCPR’s guidance to retailers on public comment to the FDA’s proposed regulations on premium cigars.
- May 19th, 2015: We assessed the EPM Larceny by Eddie Ortega.
- May 19th, 2016: We assessed the Protocol Lancero by Cubariqueño Cigar Company.
- May 19th, 2016: We published a feature story on “Understanding the FDA’s Age Requirements for Premium Cigars“
- May 19th, 2016: We reported on the Moya Ruiz Civil Disobedience.
- May 19th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 6: Fred Rewey, Nomad Cigar Company
- May 19th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the E.P. Carrillo Selección Oscuro Piramides Royal