The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 28 Edition 281 (6/2/18)
Feature of the Week: Pan American Highway Blockades Impacting Nicaragua
Over the past week, a series of blockades on key highways in Nicaragua has started to occur. These blockades are a result of on-going protests in Nicaragua going on against President Daniel Ortega’s government. Perhaps of most interest to those who cover the cigar industry is a blockade that is now occurring on the Pan American Highway on the southern end of the city of Estelí. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
A very light week in Cigar News…..
- Screwpop: The company announced its Chopo Cigar Cutter.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Rep. Stephanie Murphy [D-Florida] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 144.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- Illinois: The proposed bill to raise the Smoking Age to 21 has passed a vote by the State House and is now heading to Governor Bruce Rauner’s desk. (* This is a corrected story *)
- OMB: 33 Congressmen have written to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) requesting an extension of the ANPRM on premium cigars and a delay in the implementation of warning labels.
- 1502 Blue Sapphire Toro Gordo
- Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Gran Reserva Belicoso
- Macanudo Inspirado White Robusto
- Romeo San Andrés by Romeo y Julieta Toro
- Tatuaje – The Michael
Agile Cigar Reviews
- This month’s editorial is “May Days“.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 54 we welcomed back Juan Cancel & Bill Ives of Cubariqueño Cigar Company. We caught up on all of the latest happenings with the Protocol line of cigars. Plus in our Debonaire Ideal segment, Juan demonstrated how to make his signature Old Fashioned. In our Deliberation segment, the subject of cigar reviews comes up again.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 55 (6/7/18): Scott Weeks, Recluse Cigar Company
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition TBD (6/19/18): Glynn Loope, Cigar Rights of America
On this date June 2nd
- June 2nd, 2011: We assessed the JD Temptation Habano Claro.
- June 2nd, 2011: We assessed the 601 Reserva Limitada Natural – White Label
- June 2nd, 2012: We assessed the Rocky Patel Edge Candela
- June 2nd, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the 601 Blue Label Maduro.
- June 2nd, 2014: We reported on the My Father Cigars La Antiguedad
- June 2nd, 2014: We reported on the Robbie Streitz being named National Sales Manager at A.J. Fernandez Cigars.
- June 2nd, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Casa Fernandez Aniversario Series Boheme No. 35
- June 2nd, 2015: We reported on the AVO Syncro Nicaragua
- June 2nd, 2015: We reported on Nicholas Melillo launching Foundation Cigar Company
- June 2nd, 2015: We reported on Eddie Ortega and Sean Williams’ Miami Stash project.
- June 2nd, 2015: We reported on the Nestor Miranda Collection Danno 2015.
- June 2nd, 2015: We reported on Emilio Cigars naming Spencer McGuire its Brand Manager
- June 2nd, 2015: We reported on Emma Viktorsson’s Freyja project and the backstory behind it.
- June 2nd 2015: We reported on Warped Cigars releasing the La Colmena Shop Exclusive for R. Field 30th Anniversary
- June 2nd 2016: We assessed the Rocky Patel Ray Lewis Legends 52
- June 2nd 2016: We reported on Global Premium Cigars filing the first premium cigar industry lawsuit against the FDA
- June 2nd 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 8: James Brown, Black Label Trading Company.
- June 2nd 2017: We assessed the Protocol Probable Cause Lancero by Cubariqueño Cigar Company