The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 46 Edition 299 (10/13/18)
Feature of the Week: A.J. Fernandez and Jochy Blanco Team Up for the San Lotano Dominicano
In what is a historic collaboration, A.J. Fernandez and Jochy Blanco will team up to release the San Lotano Dominicano. The cigar combines Nicaraguan tobaccos grown on Fernandez’s farms and Dominican tobacco grown on Blanco’s farms. While Fernandez will be handling the distribution through his company, production will be done at Blanco’s Tabacalera Palma factory. It’s the first time a cigar under the AJ Fernandez Cigar Company brands portfolio is coming from a factory outside of his own. We got the details here.
Feature of the Week: Alex Goldman Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison
Alex Goldman, a former executive with Swisher International best known for his tenure as President of Royal Gold Cigars, has been sentenced to three years imprisonment on charges of committing tobacco tax fraud. This was the result of a plea deal that saw Goldman plead guilty to the charge. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- CigarClub.com: Named Shanda Lee Chief Marketing Officer
- Cigars International: Has opened a store in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- Mombacho Cigars: Announced the details around its Casa Favilli line.
- PDR Cigars: This week it was announced that the CFlores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Broadleaf Double Perfecto would become a shop exclusive to Michael’s Tobacco.
- Plasencia 1865 Cigars: Has promoted José Luis Plasencia to Vice President
- Providencia Cigars: Announced its fifth line, the La Misión Lancero
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remained at 149.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Michigan: Democratic gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer is proposing raising the state smoking age to 21.
- Missouri: While a stronger smoking ban for St. Louis County will be on the November 6 ballot, the results will not count.
- Casa Cuevas Maduro Clásico Prensado
- Eastern Standard Midnight Express Robusto by Caldwell Cigar Company
- Don Pepin Garcia 15th Anniversary Robusto by My Father Cigars
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
On Episode 70, we welcome Brady Hayek of Jeremy Jack Cigars. In our Debonaire Ideal segment we talked more about Arsenio Ramos. Finally in our Deliberation Segment, we talked Collaborations
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition 41, we did in an in-depth show on the Tatuaje Monsters.
Episode 72 (10/18/18): José Blanco, E.P. Carrillo
Episode 73 (10/25/18): Alec and Bradley Rubin, Alec Bradley Cigars
Episode 74 (11/1/18): Live from La Zona Palooza 2018
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 42 (10/23/18): Enrique Seijas, Matilde Cigars
On this date October 13th
- October 13, 2010: We reported on a proposed outdoor smoking ban in Wilkes Barre.
- October 13, 2011: We posted a press release on Mike Copperman joining the Cigar Rights of America staff.
- October 13, 2012: We assessed the Cohiba Edición Diamante 2012
- October 13, 2013: We reported on the Zino Platinum Collector’s Edition “The Make of L.A.”
- October 13, 2013: We assessed the Epicurean Gonzo Vintage 2007
- October 13, 2014: We assessed the Eastern Standard Cream Crush by Caldwell Cigar Company
- October 13, 2015: We reported on the CAO Honor.
- October 13, 2015: We reported on A.J. Fernandez plans to appear at the Tampa Cigar Bash
- October 13, 2015: We assessed the Montecristo 80th Anniversary No. 2 by Altadis USA
- October 13, 2016: We assessed the Cornelius & Anthony Venganza Robusto
- October 13, 2017: We reported on the FDA Guidance on free samples of tobacco products
- October 13, 2017: We reported on the One-of-a Kind Humidor by Daniel Marshall Was Among Auction Items at Gala for the Global Ocean
- October 13, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 25: Chris Topper, Topper Cigarss