The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 348 (9/28/19)
Feature of the Week: Tommy Zman Out at CigarAdvisor and Famous Smoke Shop
Last week, Thomas Zarzecki Jr aka Tommy Zman, best known for his work at Cigar Advisor and spokesperson for Famous Smoke Shop was fired from those positions. This was followed up by a report that he allegedly sent a threatening email to an employee at Famous. This story was reported by Lehigh Valley Live. Neither Famous nor Cigar Advisor has commented on the story, although Zarzecki is no longer listed on the Cigar Advisor staff as a contributor. Cigar Advisor is a media arm for Famous Smoke Shop.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The Undercrown Dogma 2019 release is heading to retailers.
- Altria: The tobacco giant announced that merger talks with Philip Morris International have ended.
- Crowned Heads: The company has announced its Crowned Heads Court Reserve XVIII Full Court.
- Habanos S.A.: The dates for XXII Festival Del Habano have been announced.
- H. Upmann: Altadis has announced the limited edition H. Upmann Nicaragua by AJ Fernandez Finca La Lilia 2009
- La Aurora: The La Aurora 107 Cosecha 2007 is heading to retailers.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The Balmoral Serie Signaturas Paso Doble is heading to retailers. The company also announced the Balmoral Añejo XO Oscuro Lancero FT Edición Limitada.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15. Meanwhile Senator Dick Durbin [D-Illinois] has introduced S. 2519 that proposes a large tobacco tax increase that would include premium cigars.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now at 79.
- California: Both Los Angeles County and Burbank have passed preliminary votes banning flavored tobacco products.
- Maryland: Delegate Dereck Davis has stated he is drafting legislation to ban all flavored tobacco products.
- Ohio: CRA has penned a letter to the City of Dayton protesting its Employment Policy around smokers and nicotine users
- Davidoff Robusto Real Especiales 7 (2019)
- Crowned Heads Court Reserve XVIII Corona Gorda
- Henry Clay War Hawk Toro
- RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon EMH Don Bosco
Agile Cigar Reviews
- We published the feature story “Analysis of STG’s Pending Acquisition of Royal Agio Cigars“
Prime Time Show
For Episode 111, we welcomed Erik Wentworth of Hammer + Sickle Cigars as our special guest..
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #61 we featured a 7-20-4 Gordo vs. Lancero Showdown.
Episode 111 (9/21/19): Erik Wentworth, Hammer + Sickle Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 61 (9/26/19): 7-20-4 Gordo vs. Lancero Showdown
On this date Sept 21
Sept 28, 2012: We assessed the CLE Connecticut
- Sept 28, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 37 (9/28/13)
- Sept 28, 2014: We reported on La Aurora’s Preferido No. 1 line extension to Guillermo León Signature and Fernando León Family Reserve
- Sept 28, 2014: We assessed the MBombay Classic
- Sept 28, 2015: We assessed the Room 101 Uncle Lee
- Sept 28, 2016: We assessed the Crux Classic Robusto
- Sept 28, 2017: We reported on FDA User Fee increases for FY 2018
- Sept 28, 2017: We assessed the Saga Short Tales Tomo III – L.I.V. (Labor Ipse Voluptas) by De Los Reyes Cigars
- Sept 28, 2017: We reported on the FDA pushing the Product and Establishment Registration deadline to October 12th
- Sept 28, 2018: We reported on Casa Cuevas releasing its Prensado and Flaco pfferings
- Sept 28, 2018: We reported on the AJ Fernandez Announces New World Cameroon Selection
- Sept 28, 2018: We reported on Joya de Nicaragua publishing a book as part of its 50th Anniversary Celebration