The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 44 Edition 297 (9/29/18)
Feature of the Week: A.J. Fernandez to Release New World Cameroon Selection
A.J. Fernandez Cigars will release its first Cameroon wrapper cigar. It’s under the New World brand and it’s called the New World Cameroon Selection. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- Casa Cuevas Cigars: The Casa Cuevas Clásico Prensado and Flaco line extensions are coming to the Casa Cuevas Habano and Maduro lines.
- Joya de Nicaragua: As part of the company’s 50th anniversary celebration, the company is releasing a commemorative book.
- AVO Cigars: The AVO LE05, a cigar returning for a limited run as a part of the brand’s 30th anniversary is shipping to retailers.
- Black Works Studio: Boondock Saint is returning for 2018.
- Espinosa: The company is teaming up with Reddit for Sombrero de Copa
- Gurkha: Christine Martinez de Castro is the company’s new Director of Marketing and Public Relations. In addition, the company is also opening its first lounge in Europe.
- Oliva: At Inter-Tabac 2018, the company unveiled two European-only releases:: the Oliva Serie V Melanio Edición Limitada 2018, and the Cain Daytona Limitada 7×70
- OSOK: Edgar Hoill is teaming up with Casa Turrent to resurrect the OSOK brand. His first release is the OSOK San Andres
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remained at 149.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Missouri: A judge has tossed out a ballot question on a smoking ban for St. Louis County.
Prime Time Show
On Episode 68, we had an industry roundtable with Steve Saka of Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust and Dave Garofalo of Two Guys Smoke Shop.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week
Episode 70 (10/4/18): The Camacho Show
Episode 71 (10/11/18): Brady Hayek, Jeremy Jack Cigars
Episode 72 (10/18/18): To Be Announced
Episode 73 (10/25/18): To Be Announced
Episode 74 (11/1/18): Lice from La Zona Palooza 2018
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 40 (10/1/18): The MLB Post Season Show
Special Edition 41 (10/9/18): Monsters Series/Arsenio Ramos
Special Edition 42 (10/23/18): Enrique Seijas, Matilde Cigars
On this date September 29th
- September 29, 2012: We assessed the Aging Room Quattro F55
- September 29, 2013: We published an Assessment Update on the Viaje Satori 2013
- September 29, 2014: We assessed the La Bohéme by Boutique Blends Cigars
- September 29, 2014: We reported on La Aurora’s Preferido No. 1 Line Extension to Guillermo León Signature and Fernando León Family Reserve
- September 29, 2015: We assessed the CAO Pilón Robusto
- September 29, 2015: We reported on the Macanudo Inspirado Black being showcased at Inter-Tabac 2015
- September 29, 2015: We assessed the Quesada Reserva Privada Oscuro Toro
- September 29, 2016: We reported on the line extensions to the A.J. Fernandez Last Call
- September 29, 2017: We reported on Tom Price resigning as Secretary of Health and Human Services
- September 29, 2017: We reported on the Davidoff Madison Avenue 30th Anniversary Flagship store exclusive
- September 29, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Joya Black Robusto by Joya de Nicaragua
- September 29, 2017: We reported on the U.S. urgning limiting travel to Cuba.
- September 29, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 23: Jack Toraño, General Cigar Company