The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 309 (12/22/18)
Feature of the Week: Jack Toraño and General Cigar Part Ways
After 2 1/2 years, the Jack Toraño era at General Cigar is over. We’ve got the details here.
Feature of the Week: Felix Menendez Passes Away
Brazilian tobacco legend Felix Menendez has passed away. The details are here.
2018 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the ninth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is doing a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 7, 2019, we will count down the Top 30 Cigars for 2018. This week we unveiled selections #16 through #22:
- #16: Casa Fernandez Miami Aniversario Perfecto by Aganorsa Leaf
- #17: Casa Cuevas Connecticut Toro
- #18: Crowned Heads Le Carême Belicosos Finos LE 2018
- #19: Four Kicks Maduro Robusto Extra by Crowned Heads
- #20: Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Lancero
- #21: Undercrown Sun Grown Gran Toro by Drew Estate
- #22: Davidoff Year of the Dog Limited Edition 2018
News and Previews
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: The company will produce the 12th MicroBlend for Smoke Inn Cigars and the Red Lovers Meat Club.
- Crux Cigar Company: The company announced Short Salomone line extensions to its Epicure, Guild, and Limitada lines.
- Oliva Cigar: Named Cory Bappert the new company CEO.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Company: The company has started to take the 2012 by Oscar Barber Pole national.
- Rocky Patel: The long-awaited Java x-press is heading to stores
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Ohio: The City of Cincinnati has voted to raise the smoking age to 21.
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 78, Klaas Pieter Kelner of Davidoff Cigars was our special guest.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Prime Time Special Edition #44, Tom Lazuka of Asylum Cigars was our special guest.
Episode 79 (12/27/18) – Tim Wong, Pier 28 Premium Cigars
Episode 80 (1/3/19): James Brown, BLTC
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 45 – TBD
Special Edition 46 (1/22/19) – The LFD Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
On this date December 22nd
- Dec 22, 2010: We revealed the Camacho Liberty 2010 as the #9 Cigar of the Year
- Dec 22, 2011: We assessed the Kristoff Kristania
- Dec 22, 2011: We revealed the Emilio Grimalkin as the #9 Cigar of the Year for 2011
- Dec 22, 2012: We assessed the BSB No. 1 by Bernie Parent
- Dec 22, 2012: We revealed the CyB by Joya de Nicaragua as the #9 Cigar of the Year for 2012
- Dec 22, 2013: We revealed the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2013 as the #9 Cigar of the Year for 2013
- Dec 22, 2013: We assessed the S & S Foreplay
- Dec 22, 2014: We revealed Casa Fernandez Aniversario 2014 – The Ares as the #9 Cigar of the Year for 2014
- Dec 22, 2014: We assessed the Señorial 65th Anniversary Perfecto Elégance by Las Cumbres Tabaco
- Dec 22, 2014: We reported on the Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch by Altadis USA
- Dec 22, 2014: We reported on the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II Trajan
- Dec 22, 2014: We reported on the Quesada Keg
- Dec 22, 2015: We assessed the Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Gran Toro by PDR Cigars
- Dec 22, 2015: We revealed the Don Reynaldo Coronas De Luxe by Warped Cigars #9 Cigar of the Year for 2015.
- Dec 22, 2016: We assessed the 601 La Bomba Warhead III by Espinosa Cigars
- Dec 22, 2016: We revealed the Saga Short Tales-Tales of High Priming by De Los Reyes Cigars as the #17 Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- Dec 22, 2017: We reported on the Daniel Marshall 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Humidor
- Dec 22, 2017: We revealed the Rancho Luna Maduro Robusto by JRE Tobacco Company as the #27 Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- Dec 22, 2017: We reported on the cigar industry’s day in court.
- Dec 22, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 35: Nicholas Melillo, Foundation Cigar Company