The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 312 (1/12/19)
2018 Cigar of the Year Countdown
This past week, we wrapped up the Cigar of the Year Countdown for 2018.
- #1: Aladino Corojo Reserva by JRE Tobacco Co.
- #2: Crux Epicure Robusto
- #3: VegaFina Añejado 7 Años Robusto Extra Pigtail
Year in Review
This week we published our Performance Ratings
- Best Factory Performance for 2018
- Country of Origin Performance for 2018
- Vitola Performance for 2018
- Best Brand Performance for 2018
Prime Time Awards
This week we announced the Prime Time Award Winner for Best Small Factory.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: Announced the return of the Herrera Esteli Norteño Edicion Limitada Churchill
- Casa de Montecristo: Announced the opening of its Hallandale, Florida location.
- Espinosa: Announced the new Espinosa Crema Rabito.
This week we published Editor’s Corner #95: Postseason 2018
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. The following co-sponsors have been added, bringing the total number to 11.
- John Barrasso [R-Wyoming]
- Bob Casey [D-Pennsylvania]
- James Inhofe [R-Oklahoma]
- John Kennedy [R-Louisiana]
- John Boozman [R-Arkansas]
- Connecticut: Connecticut State Representative Jason Perillo has introduced a bill which would remove the prohibition and allow for the expansion of cigar bars in the state.
- Florida: Led by Senator Joe Gruthers, legislation has been introduced that would ban smoking on public beaches.
- New Hampshire: State Representative Timothy Horrigan (D-06) has introduced a bill which would remove the exemption for premium cigars from OTP taxes and subject them to the state’s tobacco products tax of 65.03 percent of the wholesale sales price. Meanwhile, State Senator David Watters is proposing legislation to raise the age to purchase tobacco to 21.
- North Dakota: State Senator Oley Larson has introduced a bill that would provide an exemption to make it legal to smoke in cigar bars.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 81 Ian Reith of Dapper Cigar Company was our special guest.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
Episode 82 (1/17/19): Cigar of the Year Panel Discussion
Episode 83 (1/31/19): Jarrid Trudeau, Kristoff Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 45 (1/15/19) – Year in Review/Richard Overton
Special Edition 46 (1/22/19) – The LFD Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
On this date January 12th
- Jan 12, 2011: We assessed the Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro
- Jan 12, 2012: We reported on Viaje moving Oro and Platino to small batch and updated things on the WLP Series.
- Jan 12, 2012: We assessed the Rocky Patel Autumn Collection 2009
- Jan 12, 2013: We previewed the C & C Loose Cannon
- Jan 12, 2013: We assessed the Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2012
- Jan 12, 2013: We previewed the Gran Habano STK Barracuda (2013 Edition)
- Jan 12, 2014: We assessed the East End Cigar Company House Maduro
- Jan 12, 2014: We reported on Sindicato’s eponymous cigar.
- Jan 12, 2014: We reported on Sindicato’s bundle maduro offering
- Jan 12, 2015: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana 1994 Rumba
- Jan 12, 2016: We reported on Macanudo’s new packaging.
- Jan 12, 2016: We assessed the The Angel’s Anvil 2015 by Crowned Heads
- Jan 12, 2016: We published the Country of Origin Performance Ratings for 2015
- Jan 12, 2017: We published the Single Shop Exclusive Performance Ratings for 2016
- Jan 12, 2018: We reported on Casa de Montecristo acquiring Tampa Humidor
- Jan 12, 2018: We reported on Las Cumbres Tabaco’s release of the Freyja 12
- Jan 12, 2018: We revealed the The Wise Man Maduro Robusto as the #8 Cigar of the Year for 2017
- Jan 12, 2018: We named Plasencia Cigars S.A. the Prime Time Award Winner for 2017.
- Jan 12, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 38: Ernesto Padilla, Padilla Cigar Company