The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 9 (Edition 210 1/21/17)
Feature of the Week: Altria Acquires Nat Sherman
Shock-waves were sent to the premium cigar industry when it was announced that tobacco giant Cigar Altria had acquires Nat Sherman. The deal includes not only the premium cigar division, but its cigarette business, and the Nat Sherman Townhouse in New York City. Following the transaction, the Nat Sherman Townhouse had temporarily closed. Meanwhile NatSherman.com remains closed.
Feature of the Week: FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Free Samples
This week the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued draft guidance when it comes to free samples on cigars. The guidance allows for free samples for some business to business scenarios and for free cigars involved in a monetary transaction. We got the details here.
Cigar of the Year Countdown
This year we unveiled our #1 and #2 Cigars for 2016 and the interesting thing is that both were lanceros
- #2: Aladino Elegante by JRE Tobacco
- #1: Crux du Connoisseur No. 2 (Cigar of the Year)
The full Top 30 list can be found here.
Year in Review
This week we got into the Cigar Coop Honors and unveiled another Performance Rating analysis. Next week we wrap up our 2016 Year in Review.
- Cigar Industry Person of the Year-Carlos Fuente, Sr.
- Factory of the Year (Small / Single): La Zona
- 2016 Year in Review: Factory of the Year (Large / Multi-Faceted): Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia
- Vitola Performance Ratings for 2016
- Torano Cigars: The Vault line is expanding with the Torano Vault E-021 and W-009 offerings.
- British American Tobacco: The tobacco giant has announced it has acquired U.S. based tobacco giant Reynolds American.
- Camacho: The brand has announced the Camacho BXP, a series of box-pressed offerings featuring modified blends of the Camacho Connecticut, Camacho Corojo, and Camacho Ecuador.
- Davidoff: The brand has released theDavidoff Golden Leaf – a limited edition cigarillo.
- Gurkha: The company has released the Trump Presidente as a cigar to be given out at the 2017 Inaugural festivities.
- PDR Cigars: The company announced the release of the Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Gen2
- S.T. Dupont: The company has released the S.T. Dupont Initial Lighter to commemorate its 75th anniversary.
- Viaje: The Viaje 45, slated to be a European release has shown up at Select U.S. Retailers
- Vintage Rockefeller Cigar Group: The company has been acquired by Kevin Schweitzer and is expanding distribution of its private label Nicaraguan blend.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 has been introduced that will replace H.R. 662. It has been sponsored once again by Rep. Bill Posey of Florida and Rep. Kathy Castor of Florida. The bill currently has 40 co-sponsors from the House of Representatives.
- Illinois: A court has ruled the Chicago OTP Tax is illegal.
- Texas: Senate Bill 183 has been introduced that would raise the smoking age to 21.
- Washington: Companion bills House Bill 1054 and Senate Bill 5025 have been filed that propose raising the smoking age to 21.
- In a special editorial we covered “Footnotes on the Petition to Support HR 564“
On this date January 21st…
- January 21st 2011: Cigar Rights of America issued a State of Cigar Rights update.
- January 21st 2012: We assessed theChinnock Cellars Private Reserve.
- January 21st 2013: We previewed the Rocky Patel II-XXVI.
- January 21st 2013: We assessed the La Aurora Cien Anos Edicion Especial (La Aurora Cien Anos Maduro), this was a cigar that would later win the 2013 Cigar of the Year Award and later earn the highest rating in the history of Cigar Coop.
- January 21st 2013: We previewed the Illusione Rothchildes.
- January 21st 2014: We assessed the BOTL LE2013 Corona Gorda by Drew Estate
- January 21st 2014: We took at look at the E.P. Carrillo INCH Short Run 2014.
- January 21st 2014: We reported on the 7-20-4 Hustler Corona Gorda.
- January 21st 2014: We previewed the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II Caligula and Tiberius line extensions.
- January 21st 2014: We reported on a series of releases headed to the 2014 DC Tweetup.
- January 21st 2015: We reported on the 1907 by Dunhill Lonsdale and Titan line extensions.
- January 21st 2015: We assessed the Rocky Patel Prohibition Broadleaf.
- January 21st 2015: We reported on the Camacho Corojo Gordo and Robusto Tubo 20s line extensions.
- January 21st 2016: We assessed the Quesada Keg 2016 Toro Gordo.