The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 17 (Edition 218 3/18/17)
Feature of the Week: The Cigar Coop Prime Time Show
This week we announced an extension to the Cigar Coop brand with the Cigar Coop Prime Time Show, a cigar industry-focused podcast. The show will debut Thursday April 13, 2017 at 10pm.
- Davidoff: The company announced its 2017 Davidoff Exclusive Edition lineup, a series of shop exclusives for various Flagship Stores and Appointed Merchants.
- Habanos SA: We looked at the following limited edition releases unveiled at the XIX Habano Festival in Cuba including: Cohiba Talisman Limited Edition 2017 Unveiled at XIX Habano Festival, Partagas Serie No. 1 Limited Edition 2017, and Punch Regios de Punch Limited Edition 2017. In addition, the H. Upmann Connoisseur B and Trinidad La Trova will be exclusives to La Casa del Habano and Habanos Specialist retailers.
- La Palina Cigars: The new La Palina Bronze Label will be a part of the 2017 TAA Exclusive Series.
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The Grenada based cigar company rolled out its new packaging for Tierra Volcan.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company announced the new Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Minis will be be released next month.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week six new co-sponsors signed on including: Todd Rosita [R-Indiana], Scott Tipton [R-Colorado], Jason Lewis [R-Minnesota], Bill Shuster [R-Pennsylvania], Keith Rothus [R-Pennsylvania], and David Schwikert [R-Arizona]. The total number of sponsors is now 85.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains 13.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 6 co-sponsors signed on including Chuck Fleischmann [R-Tennessee], Tim Murphy [R-Pennsylvania], Mike Bishop [R-Michigan], Brett Guthrie [R-Kentucky], Dave Brat [R-Virginia], and Adrian Smith [R-Nebraska]. The total sponsor count is now 21.
- New Mexico: State lawmakers struck down a proposed tobacco tax.
- Gaaja Maduro Torpedo by Bombay Tobak
- Neya F8 Texas Tactical Lancero by Duran Cigars
- Archetype Sage Advice Toro by Ventura Cigar Company
Agile Cigar Reviews
On this date March 18th…
- March 18th 2011: We assessed the Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela.
- March 18th 2011: We assessed the Illusione 88 Candela
- March 18th 2011: We assessed the Illusione MJ12
- March 18th 2012: We did Assessment Updates on the E.P. Carrillo Edicion Inaugural 2009 and Gurkha Royal Challenge.
- March 18th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Viaje White Label Project (WLP) St. Patrick’s Day Candela 2011.
- March 18th 2014: We reported on the launch of Cigar Package Design.
- March 18th 2014: We reported on the 2014 TAA Exclusive Cigar, the La Flor Dominicana TAA Exclusive – The 707.
- March 18th 2014: We assessed the Rosalila Mundo Celestial Connecticut by Oscar Valladares Tobacco and Company.
- March 18th 2015: We assessed the MBombay Kesara Toro.
- March 18th 2015: We reported on the The Griffin’s Special Edition Club Series III.
- March 18th 2015: We reported on Roberto P. Duran Cigars and Azan Tobacco Group partnering with Eric Piras.
- March 18th 2016: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo Adds INCH Maduro 8 x 58.
- March 18th 2016: We reported on the Flor de las Antillas Maduro Box-Pressed Torpedo Slated becoming an exclusive cigar Federal Cigar 95th anniversary.
- March 18th 2016: We reported of the release of the Liga Maestro by Mombacho Cigars SA.
- March 18th 2016: We assessed the El Güegüense Churchill by Foundation Cigar Company.