The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8 am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 30 (Edition 231 6/17/17)
Feature of the Week: We Remember Bob Moreno
On June 6th, Bob Moreno who had a career in management in the cigar industry for Xikar, E.P. Carrillo, La Palina, and Davidoff passed away at age 59. Our condolences go to Bob’s family and friends.
Feature of the Week: Cigars Not Affected in New President Trump’s New Policy Toward Cuba
This week President Donald Trump announced he was rolling back several back several of former President Barack Obama’s directives toward Cuba While there were no changes to the current policy that allows bringing Cuban cigars and rum into the United States, there are more restrictions in terms of traveling there. We’ve got the details here.
Our 2017 IPCPR Digest is live. You can follow up on all of our reports leading up to the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show opening July 10th in Las Vegas.
- CAO: The CAO Fuma Em Corda was announced as the second installment of the brand’s Amazon Trilogy.
- Cornelius & Anthony: The company will release Señor Esugars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Villiger: The company will bring back its La Flor de Ynclan line at this year’s 2017 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Colibri: The accessories company will debut its new Rally Lighter at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Davidoff: The company released its 2016 Fiscal Year Results. The company also announced a new Winston Churchill brand cigar called Davidoff Winston Churchill “The Late Hour”
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company will release a special Collector’s Humidor at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Fratello Cigars: The Fratello Firecracker was released this year at the 2017 installment of Two Guys Smoke Shop’s Firecracker series.
- L’Atelier Imports: The company’s limited edition L’Atelier Côte d’Or has returned for 2017.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The company announced it will be launching its own U.S. Headquarters and forming its own sales staff
- Ventura Cigar Company: The company announced it has acquired a small San Diego-based company known as Cuban Cigar Factory.
- Viaje: The Viaje Birthday Blend is returning for 2017.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week six new co-sponsors were added including: Brendan Boyle [D-Pennsylvania], Drew Ferguson [R-Georgia], Tom Graves [R-Georgia], Steven Palazzo [R-Mississippi], Kelly Trent [R-Mississippi], and Randy Hulgren [R-Illinois]. The total number of sponsors is now 118.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week two new co-sponsors were added including Don Young [R-Alaska] and Thomas Rodney [R-Florida]. The total sponsor count is now 74.
- Michigan: A package of bills has been introduced to raise the smoking age to 21.
- Serino Royale Medio Robusto Gordo
- Casa Cuevas Maduro Toro
- Davidoff Nicaragua 6 x 60
- La Aurora 1903 Cameroon Robusto
- Mombacho 10th Anniversary Magnifico
Agile Cigar Review
Prime Time Show
For Episode 10, due to a technical issue, we were unable to have Bryan Mussard of Cattle Baron Cigars as our special guest. We have rescheduled Bryan for Episode 16 on August 3rd. We did two extended Deliberation segments which touched on plenty of hot stories in the cigar industry, plus we talked about steaks.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #3, we welcomed Gabriel Alvarez of Casa Cuevas Cigars as our special guest. We also covered the topic of “Cigar Hype”.
Prime Time Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Special Edition #4 (6/27/17): Cigar Rights Episode with Glynn Loope
Episode 12 (6/29/17): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company
Episode 13 (7/5/17-Weds): Skip Martin, RoMa Craft Tobac
IPCPR Trade Show 7/10-7/14/17
Episode 14 (7/20/17): Tim Cavenagh and Justin Gao Mathson Hansen, Alpha Cigar Company
Episode 15 (7/27/17): Paul Stulac, Paul Stulac Cigars
Episode 16 (8/3/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
On this date June 17th…
- June 17th, 2011: We did a pre-release assessment fo the My Uzi Weighs a Ton.
- June 17th, 2011: We previewed the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2011.
- June 17th, 2012: We assessed the Rocky Patel Hercules.
- June 17th, 2012: We previewed the Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 4 Oscuro.
- June 17th, 2013: We assessed the El Centurion (2013) by My Father Cigars
- June 17th, 2014: We reported on Zander-Greg’s Nat Cicco HHB Habano and Line Extensions to Nat Cicco Aniversario 1965.
- June 17th, 2014: We reported on the Table 36 Peacemaker.
- June 17th, 2014: We reported on Sindicato releasing the Sindicato Maduro.
- June 17th, 2014: We reported on the 7-20-4 Factory 57.
- June 17th, 2014: We reported on Ocean State Cigars’ J. Grotto Anniversary.
- June 17th, 2014: We reported on the CAO Art of Craft Sampler heading to Total Wine
- June 17th, 2014: We assessed the Camacho Ecuador.
- June 17th, 2015: We reported on Imperial Tobacco Group acquiring New York’s Cigar Inn.
- June 17th, 2015: We reported on the plans for the Flor de Selva Toro Connecticut and Maduro to launch at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- June 17th, 2015: We reported on the 2015 release of the La Aroma de Cuba Noblesse.
- June 17th, 2015: We assessed the Camacho American Barrel-Aged Toro.
- June 17th, 2015: We reported on the Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium Cigars release.
- June 17th, 2016: We assessed the Saga Short Tales-Tales of High Priming
- June 17th, 2016: We reported on three U.S. Diplomats being expelled from Nicaragua.