The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY IS OUR SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 38 (Edition 239 8/12/17)
IPCPR 2017 Reports
We continued our post IPCPR coverage. Be sure to follow our 2017 IPCPR Digest for our full coverage.
This week we had the following feature stories:
- Spotlight on Alpha Cigar Company at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Serino Cigar Company at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Boutique Blends at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Crux Cigar Company at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on LH Premium Cigars and Lavida Isla at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
This week we filed the following reports:
- Macanudo: The company has released its Macanudo Inspirado White and Black lines.
- Ashton: The company launched the San Cristobal Quintessence Corona Gorda and San Cristobal Ovation Eminence at this year’s IPCPR.
- Berger & Argenti: The company is making a comeback as well with its signature line, the Berger & Argenti Entubar.
- Casa Fernandez: The company has rebranded Master Mason as Secreto Del Arte.
- H. Upmann: Altadis U.S.A. launched the H. Upmann Banker Ingot Rosé.
- L’Atelier Imports : The L’Atelier Extension de la Racine ER17 has been released.
- Marrero Cigars: The Marrero Flor de Nino Robusto and Marrero Tico Torpedo were launched at this year’s trade show.
- Montecristo : The company announced the Montecristo Espada Estoque Vintage 2002 is coming back.
- PDR Cigars: National Sales Manager Robbie Streitz has departed the company.
- Saint Luis Rey: The Saint Luis Rey Natural Broadleaf was unveiled at this year’s trade show.
- Jas Sum Kral: The company launched a new display tray for retailers.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 121.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 86.
- New York: The New York City Council has approved a bill which raises the minimum price of a cigar to $8.00, plus implements a tax increase. It will become law if signed by Mayor Bill De Blasio.
- Oregon: Governor Kate Brown has signed a bill into law that raises the State Tobacco Purchase Age to 21.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
We have partnered with Layne Coffee to offer two unique coffee blends. We have the details here. You can also order your coffee here, but at press time we are sold out.
Prime Time Show
This week there was no Prime Time Show. We will be back next week.
Our shows are available on YouTube, Podbean, iTunes, Tune In Radio, and Google Play.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 18 (8/24/17) TBD
Episode 19 (8/31/17) Charlie Minato, Halfwheel
Episode 20 (9/7/17) Tom Lazuka, Asylum Cigars
Episode 21 (9/14/17) TBD
Episode 22 (9/21/17): Ryan Frailing, Island Lifestyle Importers
On this date August 12th…
- August 12th, 2011: We assessed the Tatuaje Fausto.
- August 12th, 2012: We had a cigar conversation with actor Joseph R. Gannascoli.
- August 12th, 2012: We previewed the RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine.
- August 12th, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment on the La Flor Dominicana Oro Maduro.
- August 12th, 2012: We previewed the My Uzi Weighs a Ton +11.
- August 12th, 2013: We assessed the EIROA by CLE Cigars.
- August 12th, 2013: We previewed the La Aurora Puro Vintage 2005.
- August 12th, 2014: We assessed the AJ Fernandez New World.
- August 12th, 2014: We reported on the Saga Golden Age by Corporación Cigar Export.
- August 12th, 2014: We reported on Kristoff Sampler Packs.
- August 12th 2014: We reported on AJ Fernandez Cigars releasing a Mini-Documentary.
- August 12th, 2015: We did a Feature Story on Chinnock Cellars Cigars at the 2015 IPCPR.
- August 12th, 2015: We reported on the CAO Steel Horse at the 2015 IPCPR.
- August 12th, 2015: We reported on E.P. Carrillo Cabinet Line Extensions Launched at the 2015 IPCPR.
- August 12th, 2016: We reported on the La Tradicion Perdomo Reserve Series returning.
- August 12th, 2016: We reported on the Tatuaje Reserva Broadleaf Collection debuting at the 2016 IPCPR.