The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY IS OUR SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 41 (Edition 242 9/2/17)
Feature of the Week: Executive Changes at Davidoff
This week came word of the departures of CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard and Chairman Andreas Schmid from Davidoff. Beat Hauenstein has been named CEO, and Domenico Scala is Davidoff’s new Chairman. We’ve got the details here.
IPCPR 2017 Reports
We are in the final stages of our IPCPR post-show coverage. Be sure to follow our 2017 IPCPR Digest for our full coverage.
This week we had the following feature stories:
- Spotlight on Camacho Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on D’Crossier Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Joya de Nicaragua at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Mombacho and Patina Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on White Hat Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
This week we also filed the following reports:
- General Cigar Company: Benji Menendez was honored at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show and an event series is planned next year.
- Montecristo: The Montecristo Artisan Series Batch 2 was launched at the 2017 IPCPR.
- Drew Estate: The Herrera Estelí 6 x 60 has been added to Alliance Cigar’s DeSocio Family.
- Quesada: The company has teamed up with The Cigar Shop, a retailer based in North and South Carolina to produce the Quesada Oktoberfest Bayern. The retailer will be the exclusive home of the Bayern.
- Pacific Cigar Company: Founder Sir David Tang has passed away.
- Tabacalera USA: Tabacalera USA, along with its parent company ITG, have donated to Texas Recovery.
- This month’s editorial is entitled “It Continues with a Coffee…“
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 123.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 86.
- New York: Mayor Bill de Blasio has signed into law a bill which raises the minimum price of a cigar to $8.00, plus implements a tax increase.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Reminder, we have partnered with Layne Coffee to offer two unique coffee blends. We have the details here. You can also order your coffee here.
Prime Time Show
This week, we welcomed on Episode 19 Charlie Minato of Halfwheel. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we discussed the aftermath of the Mayweather-McGregor Boxing match. In our regular Deliberation Segment, we had a lightning round of questions.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #10, our subject was “Movin’ On”, as we looked at people in the cigar industry who have moved to different roles in the industry – and what the impacts have been. Plus we smoked Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust’s Todos Las Dias (and put a couple away to age).
Our shows are available on YouTube, Podbean, iTunes, Tune In Radio, and Google Play.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 21 (9/14/17) Willy Herrera, Drew Estate
Episode 22 (9/21/17): Ryan Frailing, Island Lifestyle Importers
Episode 23 (9/28/17): TBD
Episode 24 (10/5/17): Enrique Seijas, Matilde Cigars
Episode 25 (10/12/17): TBD
Episode 26 (10/19/17): TBD
Episode 27 (10/26/17): Fabien Ziegler, Drew Estate
Special Edition #11 (9/5/17): The Quesada Show with Terence Reilly
Special Edition #12 (9/19/17): The HK Era at Davidoff
Special Edition #13 (9/26/17): Debonaire Ideal with Phil Zanghi
On this date September 2nd…
- September 2nd, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Room 101 Daruma.
- September 2nd, 2013: We previewed Foundry Tobacco Company’s Compounds, Elements and Musings (Internet / Catalog).
- September 2nd, 2013: We assessed the Gold Strike by Royal Gold Cigars.
- September 2nd, 2014: We assessed the Undercrown Flying Pig by Drew Estate.
- September 2nd, 2015: We reported on the Drew Estate MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured Fightin’ 69th – an exclusive to Alliance Cigar.
- September 2nd, 2015: We published a feature story “Mike Bellody Talks MLB Cigar Ventures“.
- September 2nd, 2015: We reported on Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust adding the Sobremesa Torpedo Tiempo and scrapping the Belicoso Largo.
- September 2nd, 2015: We reported on Guayacan Cigars departing House of Emilio.
- September 2nd, 2015: We reported on the Smoke Inn MicroBlend Collection Sampler.
- September 2nd, 2016: We reported on CLE Cigar Company’s plans to distribute Reyes Family Cigars.
- September 2nd, 2016: We assessed the RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794-Cigar Dojo Edition.
- September 2nd, 2016: We reported on the Romeo y Julieta Reserve Rare 11 Years Old that was launched by Altadis USA at the 2016 IPCPR
- September 2nd, 2016: We reported on the Casa Fernandez launching SABOR Aganorsa at 2016 IPCPR.
- September 2nd, 2016: We reported on the Rocky Patel Special Edition’s debut at 2016 IPCPR.