The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 13 (Edition 266 2/17/18)
Feature of the Week: AVO 30th Collection Unveiled
This week Davidoff’s AVO brand unveiled a series of projects to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the brand. We recapped the announcements here.
News and Previews
- Colibri: The accessories company announced four new finishes in its Monaco Lighter series.
- Crowned Heads: The company announced the new Le Carême Belicosos Finos LE 2018, a limited edition line extension to its Le Carême line. The company also announced the new limited edition Paniolo Kamehameha Cap.
- Gurkha Cigars: Announced two new Lounge Exclusive Cigars.
- Habanos SA: At this year’s Festival del Habano XX, Nelson Alfonso will debut Count of Montecristo Ashtray.
- Macanudo: General Cigar announced plans for the brand’s 50 anniversary.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co: The company announced a new sampler featuring some of its blends.
- Regius Cigars: Cavici and Company, the company that has a licensing agreement for Regius Cigars has filed a lawsuit against Manuel Quesada’s S.A.G. Imports
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company added eight new lighters into its Laser Lighter Collection.
- Viaje: This month the company will release its Viaje Juntos 2018 Edition, a project with E.P. Carrillo.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- Alabama: House Bill 47 has been introduced that proposes raising the age where one can buy or possess tobacco products in the State to 21.
- Idaho: The proposed bill to raise the state smoking age to 21 has been rejected.
- New Hampshire: The State Senate Affairs Committee tabled a bill that would have raised the state’s smoking age to 21.
Agile Cigar Reviews
- This week we featured a piece “Industry Observations from The Great Smoke 2018“
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 42, we welcomed Nick Syris of LH Premium Cigars s as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked Cuba with Nick. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we debated cigar herfs.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #23, we recapped our visit to Davidoff’s operations in the Dominican Republic. We also revisited the Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Todos Las Dias with six months of age. We also discussed the recent acquisitions of Xikar and Thompson Cigar and talked a little Winter Olympics.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 44 (3/1/18): Michael Giannini, Ventura Cigar Company
Episode 45 (3/8/18): Mo Maali, Patina Cigars
Episode 46 (3/15/18): Steven Bailey, Cornelius & Anthony
Episode TBD (5/17/18): Live from Corona Cigar Company
Special Edition #24 (2/27/18): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Special Edition TBD (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
On this date February 17th..
- February 1 7th, 2011: We recapped some legislative victories.
- February 17th, 2012: We assessed the VegaFina Sumum Edicion Especial 2010
- February 17th, 2012: We previewed the Viaje White Label Project (WLP) Winter Classic
- February 17th, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Lou Rodriguez Habano-Rosado
- February 17th, 2013: We reported on H.R. 792 Replaces H.R. 1639
- February 17th, 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the Cigar Federation – The Collective
- February 17th, 2015: We assessed the Dram Cask No.2 Toro by C & C Cigars (Pairing with Defiant Whisky)
- February 17th, 2015: We reported on Quesada Cigars To Auction Special Humidor
- February 17th, 2015: We reported on Commonwealth Cedar Spills’ “Spills by the Bunch”
- February 17th, 2016: We reported on Punch Rare Corojo 2016 Edition.
- February 17th, 2016: We reported on CLE’s new packaging for Eiroa and Eiroa CBT
- February 17th, 2016: We assessed the Drew Estate Liga Privada No. 9 Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
- February 17th, 2016: We reported on plans for CLE Azabache as a TAA release.
- February 17th, 2016: We reported on Casa Turrent adding the Serie 1942 and Serie 1973 Lines
- February 17th, 2017: We reported on the widespread release of the Romeo 505 Nicaragua.
- February 17th, 2017: We reported on the introduction of H.R. 1136 that proposes changing the Grandfather Date for Deemed Tobacco Products.