The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 19 (Edition 272 3/31/18)
Feature of the Week: Crowned Heads Announces Mule Kick Limited Edition 2018
Crowned Heads’ most sought after limited edition, the Four Kicks Mule Kick, is coming back for a third time. This time the company is going to release the cigar with a slightly different twist. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The company announced its 2018 Barn Smoker schedule.
- MLB Cigar Ventures: The company announced its first maduro, the David P. Ehrlich PLM will launch June 9th at Underground Cigar Shop.
- HK Hoejsgaard: Former Davidoff CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard has formed a non-cigar venture called Hoejsgaard & Co.
- Fratello: The company announced a new distribution agreement for Germany
- IndianHead Cigars: Fabian Barrantes is out as Director of Sales and Marketing and Elvis Batista is the new Director of Sales.
- Jeremy Jack Cigars: The company announced the release of the JJ14 Lancero.
- Regius: The company announced the widespread release of the Regius Maduro.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 92.
- FDA: Seven Health Groups have filed a lawsuit against the FDA over delays in the implementation of regulations. We also published Dr. Gaby Kafie’s open letter to the FDA on “Cigars Being Poor Method for Nicotine Delivery”.
- New York: The final State budget proposed by Governor Andrew Cuomo excludes a 160% tax increase on cigars.
Agile Cigar Reviews
This week we published “Examining the 2018 ANPRM on Premium Cigars“, a detailed breakdown of the ANPRM on how or if premium cigars should be regulated by the FDA.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 47, we welcomed Master Sensei of Cigar Dojo as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked NHL Hockey. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we put Master Sensei to the test with some of our best deliberations.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week, we did a change of pace for “Special Edition” as we had our 2018 Major League Baseball Preview.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 48 (4/5/18): Tony Bellatto, La Barba Cigars
Episode 49 (4/12/18): One Year Anniversary Show with AVO Cigars – Live from Tampa, Florida
Episode 50 (4/19/18): Dean Parsons, Epic Cigars
No Show (4/26/18)
Episode 51 (5/3/18): Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Episode 52 (5/10/18): Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/ Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #26 (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
Special Edition #27 (4/10/18): Todd Naifeh, ZT Cigars
Special Edition #28 (4/17/18) Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr, E.P. Carrillo
Special Edition TBD (4/27/18): Christian Eiroa, CLE Cigar Company
On this date March 31st.
- March 31st, 2011: We assessed the Berger & Argenti Mooch
- March 31st, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Flor de las Antillas by My Father Cigars
- March 31st, 2012: We reported on the Partagas 1845 Heritage
- March 31st, 2012: We reported on the passing of Manny Ferrero
- March 31st, 2013: We assessed the Screwpop Cigar Punch
- March 31st, 2014: We reported on Tarazona Cigars moving Nicaraguan production to Noel Rojas’ Factory
- March 31st, 2014: We reported on the re-launch of the Nat Sherman Epoca
- March 31st, 2014: We reported on the launch of the Asylum Cigar Bar at Comerica Park in Detroit.
- March 31st, 2014: We assessed the LFD N.A.S. by La Flor Dominicana
- March 31st, 2015: We reported on the 262 Allegiance Lancero
- March 31st, 2015: We reported on Nomad Estelí Lot 8613.
- March 31st, 2015: We assessed the Nomad C-276 Robusto
- March 31st, 2015: We reported on the “The Casa Magna Challenge”
- March 31st, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Asylum 13 80 x 8
- March 31st, 2016: We reported on Cuban Stock Cigar Company’s new factory in Dominican Republic
- March 31st, 2017: We assessed the La Palina Bill’s Blend TAA Exclusive
- March 31st 2017: We reported Michael and Bride being planned as the next two Tatuaje Monsters Releases