The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 347 (9/21/19)
Feature of the Week: Scandinavian Tobacco Group Announces Intent to Acquire Royal Agio Cigars
A blockbuster story opened this week as Scandinavian Tobacco Group announced plans to acquire Royal Agio Cigars. The transaction is still subject to regulatory approvals. We’ve got the details here.
Coincidentally, Francisco Batista, Master Blender of Royal Agio Cigars was our special guest on Prime Time Episode 110.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Magic Toast Chunk line extension was announced. The company also promoted Michael Serota to Vice President of Sales.
- Davidoff: The Davidoff Small Batch Series was announced last week.
- Drew Estate: The Liga Privada Unico Serie Pancetta Lounge Exclusive will be made available to two stores.
- JRE Tobacco Company: The company announced the limited edition Aladino Corojo Reserva No. 4.
- AJ Fernandez: The company announced it will distribute Viva La Vida Cigars.
- Altadis USA: Senior Brand Manager Eddy Guerra has resigned.
- Espinosa: The company announced corona line extensions to its Crema, Habano, and Laranja Reserva lines.
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company announced it will make its first private label line, the Owl Shop 85th Anniversary Cigar.
- Oveja Negra Brands: The Black Works Studio Boondock 2019 Edition will be heading to retailers.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now at 79.
- FDA: The agency announced its proposed rule on Premarket Tobacco Product Applications and Recordkeeping Requirements.
- Pennsylvania: A bill has been introduced to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Aganorsa Leaf Ground N Pound Elbow Candy
- Davidoff Diademas 100 (Vault Series Re-Release)
- Crux Limitada RedLine (2019)
- Jas Sum Kral (JSK) Tyrannical Buc Maduro Dobles
- La Aurora 115th Anniversary Limited Edition Belicoso
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
For Episode 109, we hosted Industry. Panel #7 with Skip Martin and Abe Dababneh.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #60 we welcomed Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America.
Episode 111 (9/21/19): Erik Wentworth, Hammer + Sickle Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 61 (9/26/19): 7-20-4 Gordo vs. Lancero Showdown
On this date Sept 21
- Sept 21, 2012: We assessed the RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon Aquitaine
- Sept 21, 2012: We posted a press release announcing a new size for the Gurkha Cellar Reserve.
- Sept 21, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 36 (9/21/13)
- Sept 21, 2014: We assessed the Flor de Selva Robusto by Maya Selva Cigars
- Sept 21, 2015: We reported on VegaFina Nicaragua 8-9-8 being showcased at Inter-Tabac 2015
- Sept 21, 2015: We assessed the Asylum 33 5 1/2 x 46 (2015)
- Sept 21, 2015: We reported on the Room 101 Ichiban Monstro becoming a shop exclusive to Tinder Box Waldorf
- Sept 21, 2016: We reported on Sindicato bringing back the Particulares Brand at the 2016 IPCPR
- Sept 21, 2016: We reported on Illusione introducing a revamped Cruzado Line at the 2016 IPCPR
- Sept 21, 2016: We reported on the AJ Fernandez New World Churchill becoming an exclusive Meier & Dutch Offering
- Sept 21, 2016: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Inch Colorado No. 62
- Sept 21, 2017: We assessed the Esteban Carreras Mr. Brownstone Smack
- Sept 21, 2018: We reported on the Rocky Patel Gran Reserve launching at Inter-Tabac 2018
- Sept 21, 2018: We reported on the XIKAR Las Calacas Xi1 Cutter Series
- Sept 21, 2018: We reported on CRA asking the U.S. Dept of Agriculture Secretary for support in battle against regulation
- Sept 21, 2018: We reported on the launch of the La Aurora 115 Anniversary Series.
- Sept 21, 2018: We published an Agile Cigar Review on the Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba Divine Inspiration