The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 415 (1/9/21)
2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown
Our 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown has completed. This past week the following cigars were unveiled:
- #3: Perdomo Estate Selección Vintage Limited Edition Box-Pressed Maduro Regente
- #2: La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 7
- #1: The American Toro by J.C. Newman Cigar Company
Finally, this past week we did an analysis on our 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown.
Year in Review
This week we continued our annual Year in Review series:
Drew Estate Year of the Rat Humidor Giveaway
This week we announced the three winners of our contest.
Michael Herklots and Brendon Scott Announce Ferio Tego and Acquires Nat Sherman Brands
2021 got off to a huge start when former Sherman executives Michael Herklots and Brendon Scott announced the formation of a new company called Ferio Tego. As a part of this venture, the former premium cigar brands of Nat Sherman were acquired by the new company. We’ve got the details here.
- Davidoff: The company has announced the Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition 2021 cigar and accessories will launch in February.
- La Flor Dominicana: Announced the Special Football Edition 2021 cigar.
- Plasencia Cigars: The company has released the Plasencia Alma Fuerte Sixto I Hexagon Colorado Claro.
- Southern Draw: The company announced it would not increase wholesale prices but add a minimal shipping cost increase to its retailers.
- Cigar Rights of the World: Jeremiah Meerapfel has announced this new organization.
- Fratello Cigars: Named Zev Kaminetsky Vice President of Sales
- TAA: The annual Meeting and Trade Show has been cancelled.
- No updates this week
Features and Blog
- The Blog: KMA Talk Radio Episode 403 – Nicholas Melillo, Foundation Cigar Company
- The Blog: KMA Talk Radio Episode 404 – Cigar Dojo Takeover
- The Blog: Will Cooper Guests on Christmas Edition of Fuente Friday
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
1/14 Prime Time Episode 170: Nicholas Melillo, Foundation Cigar Company
1/18 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 28: Out of the Comfort Zone
1/19 Prime Time Special Edition 91: 2020 Top Ten Recap and Year in Review
On This Date…
On this date January 9th…
- Jan 9, 2011: We assessed the Padilla Cazadores
- Jan 9, 2012: We assessed the Alec Bradley Prensado
- Jan 9, 2013: We assessed the La Palina Maduro.
- Jan 9, 2013: We reported on plans for the L’Atelier Maduro and Surrogates line extensions
- Jan 9, 2014: We assessed the Illusione Singulare 2013 Rose Croix
- Jan 9, 2014: We reported on Padilla’s Sampler offering and a corona extension to the Reserva Line
- Jan 9, 2015: We reported on the Jordan Alexander III Corojo release.
- Jan 9, 2015: We reported revamping and rebounding of Headlines Cigars.
- Jan 9, 2015: We reported on our 2014 Honorable Mentions.
- Jan 9, 2016: We published the Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 7 (1/9/16)
- Jan 9, 2017: We assessed the Cigar Review: E.P. Carrillo Dusk Solidos
- Jan 9, 2017: We reported on Matt Booth and Room 101 ending its relationship with Davidoff
- Jan 9, 2017: We unveiled our #5 Cigar for 2016, the Gaaja Toro by Bombay Tobak
- Jan 9, 2018: We reported on Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust to releasing the Muestra de Saka Unicorn
- Jan 9, 2018: We unveiled our #11 Cigar for 2017, the Saga Short Tales Tomo II-Tales of the Land: Cotuí by De Los Reyes Cigars
- Jan 9, 2018: We reported on Bombay Tobak adding the MBombay Classic Torpedo to New Sampler
- Jan 9, 2018: We reported on Davidoff expanding Richard Krutick’s Role to Vice President of Marketing and Retail
- Jan 9, 2019: We reported on the Espinosa Crema Rabito
- Jan 9, 2019: We published our 2018 Year in Review: Vitola Performance for 2018
- Jan 9, 2020: We reported on Alec Cuevas being named Director of Operations at Casa Cuevas Cigars
- Jan 9, 2020: We announced our Prime Time Awards 2019: Small/Medium Company of the Year – Southern Draw Cigars