The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 463 (12/11/21)
2021 Cigar of the Year Countdown
The 2021 Cigar of the Year Countdown has commenced. This is the 12th countdown being done on Cigar Coop. The criteria to qualify the list is listed here. This week we unveiled the following selections:
- Drew Estate: The 20 Acre Farm is heading to retailers.
- All Saints Cigars: The St. Francis Colorado is heading to retailers.
- Favilli Cigars SA: Announced its newly renamed Diplomático Rum Cigars will now have a soft-pack option
- Habanos SA: The long-awaited Juan Lopez Selección Especial is launching in Benelux
- Oveja Negra Brands: The Black Label Trading Company Benediction is returning as a shop exclusive.
- JC Newman Cigar Company: The company announced plans for a Hotel, Restaurant, and Cigar Lounge in Ybor City In addition, the company named Aldo Puncioni International Sales Director
- JR Cigar: Announced the JR 50th Anniversary Sampler Set
- Smoke Inn: The retailer has released a multi-vendor Advent Calendar.
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new co-sponsors, Tom Emmer [R-MN] and Mike Rogers [R-AL] signed on. The total number of sponsors is now at 57.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
Agile Cigar Reviews
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- None this week
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
- None this week
12/13: Prime Time Jukebox 58: 2022 Grammy Award Preview
12/16: Prime Time Episode 213: Jeff Haugen, Crux Cigars
12/21: Prime Time Special Edition 112: Alec Bradley Cigar Company
On This Date…
On this date December 11th…
- Dec 11, 2010: We unveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2010, the A. Turrent Triple Play
- Dec 11, 2011: We assessed the Tarazona 305
- Dec 11, 2011: We unveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2011, the Tatuaje Fausto
- Dec 11, 2012: We assessed the Viaje Holiday Blend 2012 Candy Cane (Viaje Candy Cane)
- Dec 11, 2012: We unveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2012, the Pinolero by A.J. Fernandez
- Dec 11, 2013: We assessed the Camacho Blackout Limited Edition 2013
- Dec 11, 2013: We nveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2013, the Avo Limited Edition 2013 – The Dominant 13th
- Dec 11, 2014: We assessed the La Palina Black Label Robusto
- Dec 11, 2014: We unveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2014, the Tortuga 215 Reserva El Coyote Negro by Legacy Brands
- Dec 11, 2015: We reported on the Caldwell Blind Man’s Bluff Corona becoming a Shop Exclusive
- Dec 11, 2015: We reported on Villiger North America’s plans to Restructure in 2016
- Dec 11, 2015: We assessed the Tierra Volcán Fino
- Dec 11, 2015: We unveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2015, Fratello Bianco I
- Dec 11, 2015: We reported on the Omnibus Spending Bill for 2016 Federal Budget potentially including an FDA exemption for premium cigars
- Dec 11, 2016: We unveiled our #28 Cigar of the Year for 2016, the Quesada Reserva Privada Oscuro Toro
- Dec 11, 2016: We assessed the Lucious Lyon No. 1
- Dec 11, 2017: We reported on the Nick & Jim’s P.B.E. shipping to retailers
- Dec 11, 2017: We assessed the QuickDraw Habano Corona Gorda by Southern Draw Cigars
- Dec 11, 2017: We repoted on the Black Label Trading Company Deliverance Nocturne 2017
- Dec 11, 2017: We reported AJ Fernandez Cigar Co naming Selim Hanono COO
- Dec 11, 2018: We reported on Daniel Marshall’s Cash for Cigar Clunkers Program
- Dec 11, 2018: We reported on the Davidoff Exclusive Macau Vault Series Release
- Dec 11, 2018: We unveiled our #28 Cigar of the Year for 2018, the Wayfarer Corona Gorda by Serino Cigar Company
- Dec 11, 2019: We reported on a new facility for Cigar Box Factory Estelí
- Dec 11, 2019: We unveiled our #28 Cigar of the Year for 2019, the Liga Privada No. 9 Petit Corona by Drew Estate
- Dec 11, 2020: We unveiled our #23 Cigar of the Year for 2020, the 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown: #23: Pichardo Reserva Familiar Habano Toro by ACE Prime