The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 33 (Edition 182 7/9/16)
Feature of the Week: Foundation Cigar Company Makes Key Moves
It was a big week for Nicholas Melillo and Foundation Cigar Company. This week came word that Miami Cigar and Company will become the exclusive U.S. distributor for Foundation’s upcoming Upsetters line. In addition, the company also named industry veteran Rick Ardito as the brand manager for Upsetters.
- Seven U.S. Senators Write Letter to FDA Questioning Final Regulations
- Trade Associations Request Delay for Effective Date of FDA Regulations
On Going Coverage
News and Previews
- General Cigar Company: Club Macanudo will be the new rooftop cigar lounge partner for the Knickerbocker Hotel in New York.
- PDR Cigars: The company announced Christopher Fernandez as its Mid Atlantic Sales Manager.
- Baracoa Cigar Company: This new company announced its debut cigar, “The Voyage”.
- Crossfire Cigars: Jason Lois, the National Sales Manager has departed the company.
- Davidoff: Davidoff of Geneva Austria will move into the Davidoff of Germany subsidiary.
- GTO Dominican Cigars: The new GTO Trankilo will debut at WiseAsh Cigars in Smyrna, Georgia.
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The Grenada, Nicaragua factory will team up with CMo Maali, and Casa de Montecristo Chicago Team to produce the Patina Brand
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company announced a new extension to its La Jugada line, the La Jugada Claro.
- Nat Sherman: The company will showcase a bunch of new cigars at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show. Front and center will be the new Nat Sherman Metropolitan Habano line. In addition Nat Sherman will release a Nat Sherman Adding Gordo line extension to Metropolitan Connecticut and Metropolitan Maduro Lines. The company also announced a Robusto and Gordo line extension to the Timeless Collection.
- Quesada Cigars: The company announced the new Fonseca Nicaragua will debut at the 2016 IPCPR.
- Warped Cigars: The company will debut a new Connecticut Shade from TABSA called Villa Sombra
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week three new co-sponsors were added: Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyoming); Brad Ashford (D-Nebraska); and Thomas MacArthur (R-New Jersey). The total number of sponsors is now 69.
- North Dakota: A petition containing 22,000 signatures to raise the State’s tobacco tax was turned into the Secretary of State. If validated this would go to a vote this November in the general election.
- Pennsylvania: In an effort to balance the State budget, a Tobacco Tax (including a Cigar Tax) is being considered.
- Camacho Powerband Toro
- La Galera Connecticut Chaveta by IndianHead Cigars
- LH Colorado Lancero
- My Father Garcia & Garcia
- Recluse Amadeus Habano Reserva Lancero
- Tatuaje Skinny Tiff
- Viaje Exclusivo Reserva Toro
- J. Cortès’ Acquisition of Oliva Cigar Company-The Analysis.
No show next week. We will return with Episode 193 on Monday July 11th at 6:30 PM Eastern.
Stogie Geeks Shorts
This week we covered Powerful Smokes.
This week we go back to Episode 32, Sedated Brothers.
Stogie Geeks News
On the July 8th Edition we talked Foundation Cigar Company’s agreement for Miami Cigar and Company to distribute The Upsetters (the Rick Ardito announcement came after recording this segment). We also discuss the upcoming E.P. Carrillo INCH Colorado and the new cigars from HR. Finally, we give our weekly FDA update.
On this date July 9th…
- July 9th 2012: We posted a press release announcing Emilio Cigars would be distributing Herederos de Robaina.
- July 9th 2012: We assessed the Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion Capa Habano by PDR Cigars
- July 9th 2013: We previewed the Villiger Selecto
- July 9th 2013: We previewed some J. Fuego Origen Natural and Maduro Line Extensions.
- July 9th 2013: We previewed the Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Big Bull 760
- July 9th 2013: We previewed the J. Fuego Connoissuer.
- July 9th 2013: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez 2013 Vintage.
- July 9th 2013: We previewed the Viaje Exclusivo Double Edged Sword II.
- July 9th 2014: We assessed the La Antiguedad by My Father Cigars
- July 9th 2014: We reported on the launch of the RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance Cigar Blend Coffee.
- July 9th 2015: We reported on the Crux du Connoisseur launch.
- July 9th 2015: We reported on Foundation Cigar Company’s debut line, El Güegüense
- July 9th 2015: We reported on the Insidious by Asylum Habano.
- July 9th 2015: We reported on the collaboration between Pete Johnson and Altadis on the Henry Clay Tattoo.
- July 9th 2015: We reported on the Asylum 13 Ogre Lancero.
- July 9th 2015: We reported on the La Palina Red Label.
- July 9th 2015: We reported on changes to the Asylum 13 Authentic Corojo line.