The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8 am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 35 (Edition 236 7/22/17)
IPCPR 2017 Reports
Be sure to follow our 2017 IPCPR Digest for our full coverage.
We had the following Feature Stories
- Cigar of the Year Awards Presented at 2017 IPCPR
- Spotlight on JRE Tobacco Co. at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Why Rudy Giuliani’s Keynote Address at IPCPR 2017 Missed the Mark
This week we filed the following reports:
- Black Works Studio: The brand showcased new Bands for Green Hornet and Kato lines.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company is bringing back the E.P. Carrillo Elenco line.
- Gurkha: A press release from Gurkha indicated the company reported sales records at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show.
- La Palina: The La Palina Goldie Toro was unveiled at the trade show as the sixth installment of the annual limited edition La Palina Collection Goldie line.
- My Father: The My Father La Opulencia Unveiled at 2017 IPCPR.
- Quesada: The new Quesada Reserva Privada Barber-Pole was officially launched.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company introduced three Neanderthal Line Extensions for Europe
- Ted’s Cigars: The company showcased Ted’s Presidential Cigar at this year’s trade show.
- Viaje: A third blend of the Viaje 10th Anniversary line was unveiled at the trade show. In addition, for the first time in five years, the Viaje 5th Anniversary is returning.
- Baracoa Cigar Company: The company is shutting down operations.
- Black Label Trading Company: The original Black Label Trading Deliverance is now a shop exclusive to Scottsdale Arizona retailer Ford on Fifth.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 120.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 79.
- FDA: Senators Marco Rubio [R-Florida] and Joe Manchin [D-West Virginia] spoke for support for a premium cigar exemption from FDA regulation as a part of the Appropriations process.
- New Jersey: The State became the third in the nation to raise the minimum age to purchase tobacco to 21.
Prime Time Show
For Episode 14 we welcomed, Tim Cavenagh and Justin Mathson Hansen of Alpha Cigar Company.We learned about Absinthe in our Debonaire Ideal segment. Finally, discussed some IPCPR Fallout Topics for our Deliberation Segment
Prime Time Special Edition
On Prime Time Special Edition #7 we discussed IPCPR including the Rudy Giuliani Keynote speech.
Prime Time Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 16 (8/3/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
Episode 17 (8/17/17) Kevin Schweitzer, Rock-A-Feillar Cigars
Episode 18 (8/24/17) TBD
Episode 19 (8/31/17) Charlie Minato, Halfwheel
Episode 20 (9/7/17) Tom Lazuka, Asylum Cigars
On this date July 22nd…
- July 22nd, 2012: We published our 2012 IPCPR Trade Show Preview – Around the Show Floor
- July 22nd, 2013: We previewed the Romeo by Romeo y Julieta Special Edition Gran Bully
- July 22nd, 2013: We previewed the Kristoff Galerones Ceniza de Plata
- July 22nd, 2013: We previewed the La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show 2013 Series.
- July 22nd, 2013: We reported on the Tatuaje 10th Anniversary Bon Chasseur and Belle Encre being showcased at the 2013 IPCPR.
- July 22nd, 2014: We reported on Alec Bradley Sanctum Planned.
- July 22nd, 2014: We reported E.P. Carrillo E-Stunner Taurus and Limousin line extensions
- July 22nd, 2014: We reported on the Viaje Cache.
- July 22nd, 2014: We reported on the Brun del Ré Premium Limited Edition.
- July 22nd, 2014: We reported on the Debonaire Maduro.
- July 22nd 2014: We reported on the Davidoff Golden Band Award Winners Announced andState of Davidoff
- July 22nd, 2015: We reported on Sosa Half Century.
- July 22nd, 2015: We reported on the Room 101 Big Payback Jaquemate.
- July 22nd, 2015: We reported on the debut of the 1502 XO.
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on the Ventura Cigar Company’s Archetype Series B
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on the Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Miami
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on the Double Shot Energy Cigar.
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on Black Works Studio’s S&R, Boondocks Saint, Sindustry and line extensions to Killer Bee, Green Hornet and NBK
- July 22nd, 2016: We published Part 3 of our 2016 IPCPR Pre Game Report Part 3: Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on Crowned Heads Creates 729 Calloway Lane – limited edition exclusive for Cigar Federation
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on Drew Estate adding Churchill, Tubos, and Tins to Undercrown and Undercrown Shade
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on the J.C. Newman Diamond Crown Black Diamond.
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on the CRA Introduces Stamp Program.
- July 22nd, 2016: We reported on the Recluse OTG Connecticut.