The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 46 (Edition 247 10/7/17)
Feature of the Week: Motion for Injunction Filed Against the FDA
This week the cigar industry filed a motion for preliminary injunction and partial summary judgment against the FDA Deeming Rules. These actions could take the industry lawsuit against the FDA in a different direction. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The Pappy Van Winkle Tradition has arrived at Drew Diplomat retailers.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Prensado Lost Art, Alec Bradley Black Market Estelí, and Alec Bradley Fine & Rare BR1213 Second Release is slated to hit retailers this month.
- Camacho: The Camacho Diploma is making a return. It will feature the original blend.
- Davidoff: The company is releasing the Davidoff Travel Humidor.
- E.P. Carrillo: The E.P. Carrillo Elencos is launching this month.
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company is moving distribution for The Upsetters in-house.
- Gurkha: The Gurkha 10th Anniversary 15 Year Cellar Reserve is heading to stores this month.
- Island Lifestyle Importers LLC: The Robusto, Churchill, and Gordo sizes of the Island Lifestyle Aged Reserve blends are heading to retailers.
- Tabacalera USA: The company has announced Rafael Nodal will be its new head of product capability.
- Tatuaje: The company announced its Unlucky 13 retailers who will receive the dress boxes of Tatuaje – The Michael.
- Gaaja Maduro Toro by Bombay Tobak
- Black Works Studio Sindustry Toro
- E.P. Carrillo Original Rebel Rebellious 54
- Viaje Piña Bohea
Agile Cigar Reviews
- State Department: The agency has issued a warning urging citizens not to travel to Cuba. In addition, it is significantly reducing the staff at the U.S. Embassy.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new sponsors, Brad Wenstrup [R-Ohio] Mike and Mike Gallagher [R-Wisconsin], were added. The total number of sponsors is now 126.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week one new co-sponsor Ryan Costello [R-Pennsylvania] was added. The total number of sponsors is now 88.
- California: Governor Jerry Brown has vetoed a ban aimed at state parks and beaches.
This month’s editorial is entitled “Evolution“.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week, we welcomed Enrique Seijas of Matilde Cigars for Episode 24. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked wedding cigars. Finally, in our Deliberation segment, we ponder why the cigar community has been so quiet about the recent injunction filed against the FDA and discuss what we think the IPCPR should do when selecting a new CEO.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #13, we welcomed Phil Zanghi of Debonaire House as a special guest. Plus we previewed the Major League Baseball playoffs.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 26 (10/19/17): Juan Martinez, Joya de Nicaragua
Episode 27 (10/26/17): Fabien Ziegler, Drew Estate
Episode 28 (11/2/17): Live from La Zona Palooza, Miami Florida
Episode 29 (11/9/17): Jeff Borysiewicz, Corona Cigar Company
Episode 30 (11/16/17): Ram Rodriguez, El Artista
Special Edition #14 (10/10/17): Winds of Change
Special Edition #14 (10/24/17): Jonathan Carney, La Flor Dominican
On this date October 7th…
- October 7th, 2010: We assessed Estaban Carrera’s Cubana Real Semilla Maduro
- October 7th, 2011: We inducted the AVO Limited Edition 2010 into the (defunct) Cigar Coop Hall of Fame.
- October 7th, 2011: We inducted the Liga Privada T52 into the (defunct) Cigar Coop Hall of Fame.
- October 7th, 2011: We inducted Edgar Cullman Sr into the (defunct) Cigar Coop Hall of Fame.
- October 7th, 2011: We inducted George Burns into the (defunct) Cigar Coop Hall of Fame.
- October 7th, 2012: We inducted the Davidoff Millennium into the (defunct) Cigar Coop Hall of Fame.
- October 7th, 2012: We inducted the Arturo Fuente Anejo into the (defunct) Cigar Coop Hall of Fame.
- October 7th, 2013: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Shows Collector’s Edition Mysterioso.
- October 7th, 2013: We reported on the return of the Toraño Reserva Selecta.
- October 7th, 2013: We assessed the Tatuaje Avion 13 FF.
- October 7th, 2014: We assessed the Crowned Heads Hecho Con Corazon LE 2014.
- October 7th, 2015: We reported on return of Monte Pascoal back to the U.S. Market.
- October 7th, 2015: We assessed the Crux du Connoisseur No. 2, a cigar that would become the Cigar Coop Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- October 7th, 2016: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana 1994 Beer Stein Limited Edition.
- October 7th, 2016: We reported on the Fuente Fuente Opus X 20 Years Celebration.
- October 7th, 2016: We published a feature story called “Dancing on the Jetty-Cigar Smoking in Cuba“