The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 6 (Edition 259 12/30/17)
Feature of the Week: Boveda Smart Sensor Released
A couple of weeks ago, Boveda announced a new device called the Smart Sensor. It’s a device designed to monitor the conditions of your humidor whether local or remote. We’ve got the details here.
2017 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the eighth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is releasing its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This is our (near) daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the year for 2017. This year there was a delayed start, but the Countdown officially began on December 9th. This week we unveiled selections #26 through #21.
- #26: Black Works Studio Sindustry Toro
- #25: Protocol Themis Toro by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- #24: David P. Ehrlich Tremont Toro by MLB Cigar Ventures
- #23: Quesada Reserva Privada Barber-Pole Robusto
- #22: Serino Royale Medio Robusto Gordo
- #21: Diamond Crown Black Diamond Emerald by J.C. Newman Cigar Co.
The Countdown will take a break on Monday, January 1st, 2018. While we won’t be unveiling a cigar on the countdown, as always there will be original content on Cigar Coop published on January 1st.
News and Previews
- Habanos SA: We covered details around the Cohiba Talismán Limited Edition 2017 , Línea Retro line, and the Ramón Allones Hermitage (Russia Regional Exclusive)
- Mi Querida Gordita by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- Davidoff Year of the Dog Limited Edition 2018
- La Madrina Natural Robusto by Dapper Cigar Company
- Padrón 1926 Serie No. 90 Natural
Agile Cigar Reviews
- We covered “Day 2000 – Thank You!!“
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 36, we welcomed back Danny Vazquez, now of RoMa Craft Tobacco, as our special guest. We discussed Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in our Debonaire Ideal segment. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we discussed personnel moves in the cigar industry.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 38 (1/11/18): Ernesto Padilla, Padilla Cigar Company
Episode 39 (1/18/18): Mike Bellody, MLB Cigar Ventures
Episode 40 (1/25/18): TBA
No Show 2/1/18
Episode 41 (2/8/18): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Special Edition #19 (1/2/18): A Tribute to Gilberto Oliva Sr.
Special Edition #20 (1/23/18): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
On this date December 30th…
- December 30th, 2011: We assessed the Tortuga 215 Edicion Limitada 2011.
- December 30th, 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the My Father Limited Edition 2011.
- December 30th, 2012: We published our 2012 Year in Review: Top 12 Cigar Stories/Themes.
- December 30th, 2012: We previewed EH Cigars (Edgar Hoill Cigars).
- December 30th, 2013: We published our 2013 Year in Review: Top 12 Cigar Stories/Themes.
- December 30th, 2014: We reported on the return of the Tatuaje M80.
- December 30th, 2014: We published our 2014 Year in Review: Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories / Themes of 2014.
- December 30th 2014: We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance BA XXI Revenge heading to Mr J’s Havana Shop and Cigars on 6th.
- December 30th, 2015: We published our 2015 Year in Review: Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories / Themes of 2015.
- December 30th 2015: We reported on the Davidoff Nicaragua Box Pressed.
- December 30th, 2016: We assessed the Herrera Esteli TAA Exclusive by Drew Estate.
- December 30th, 2016: We named the Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Gran Toro by PDR Cigars our #11 Cigar of the Year.