The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 30 Edition 283 (6/16/18)
Below are the latest developments in the Nicaraguan Crisis over the past week:
- Unrest in Nicaragua Intensifies
- National Labor Strike Called for Thursday in Nicaragua
- Catholic Bishops To Mediate a New Round of Talks with Nicaraguan Government
- Nicaraguan Government and Opposition Groups Take First Steps to End Violence
This week the cigar industry lost two big figures:
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The company has released a new batch of five of its Flying Pig cigars. The company also announced the return of its ACID Amigos cigar.
- Gran Habano: The company announced the Gran Habano Coleccion De Elegancia Corojo No. 5 Maduro and Gran Habano Gran Reserva #5 2012 will launch at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company will introduce new packaging for its Buena Cosecha line.
- AJ Fernandez: The company will unveil the Belles Artes Maduro at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Davidoff: Announced the return of the Davidoff Diademas Finas.
- Fratello Cigars: Named Shannon Strang Director of Operations.
- H. Upmann: The company will introduce the H. Upmann Nicaragua by AJ Fernandez Box Pressed Belicoso
- Illusione Cigars: Officially released the Illusione OneOff.
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: Bobby Newman was a guest on the Rush Limbaugh Show and discussed the cigar industry’s fight against pending regulations.
- Nicoya Cigars: The company a new distribution agreement with Malaysia.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company will introduce new packaging for its Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary.
- Warped Cigars: The company will release the Warped La Relatos at the 2018 IPCPR.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Rep. Neal Dunn [R-Florida] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 145.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- California: The city of San Francisco has banned the sale of flavored tobacco.
- FDA: The cigar industry is planning on appealing the District of Columbia’s Court Ruling on Warning Labels in favor of the FDA.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 56 we featured an all-star industry panel discussion with Hector Alfonso Sr of Espinosa Cigars, Skip Martin of RoMa Craft Tobac, and Steve Saka of Dunbarton Tobacco.& Trust.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week for Special Edition #33 we discussed Beyond the Comfort Zone, and covered the situation in Nicaragua as well as the deaths of Cano Ozgener and Eric Hanson
Cutters Sixth Anniversary Broadcast
We also did a live remote at Cutters Cigar & Spirits Sixth Anniversary Celebration. Our featured guests included José Ortega of My Father Cigars, Heather Callahan of Felix Assoiline Cigars, Russ Sutton of Cutters Cigar and Spirits, and Abe Dababneh of KMA Talk Radio.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 57 (6/21/18): Matt Booth, Room 101 Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 34 (6/19/18): Glynn Loope, Cigar Rights of America
On this date June 16th
- June 16th, 2012: We previewed the La Palina Maduro and La Palina Classic
- June 16th, 2013: We published “2013 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 2: Five General Things To Look For“
- June 16th, 2014: We assessed the Herrera Esteli Lancero – Edicion Limitada 2014 by Drew EstateI
- June 16th, 2015: We assessed the Viaje Throw Down Fed Head
- June 16th, 2016: We reported on UPS and De Los Reyes Cigars launching a Shipping Platform
- June 16th, 2016: We reported on the La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro and Serie R Black Maduro
- June 16th, 2016: We reported on the GTO Trankilo
- June 16th, 2016: We assessed the Cornelius & Anthony Daddy Mac Corona Gorda
- June 16th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Viaje Zombie Super Shot 2017.
- June 16th, 2017: We reported on President Trump rolling back some of Obama’s Cuba Directives
- June 16th, 2017: We reported on Villiger La Flor de Ynclan returning for the 2017 IPCPR
- June 16th 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 10: Deliberations and Steaks