The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 324 (4/6/19)
Contest: Enter our Alec Bradley Prize Pack Contest!!!
Feature of the Week: FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Substantial Equivalence
If there is one thing that has been keeping the premium cigar industry up at night, it is Substantial Equivalence (SE). This week the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published a draft guidance on the Federal Register on proposed rule-making around the SE process. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company is releasing Ground N Pound for Serious Cigars.
- Cigar Marketplace: Starky Arias has a new B2B platform known as Cigar Marketplace.
- Crowned Heads: The Crowned Heads Le Carême Belicosos Finos is returning for 2019.
- Crux Cigars: The Crux Epicure Short Salomone is heading to retailers.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company has released the Cigar News: Espinosa Cigars Releases Naranja Reserva Escuro.
- Montecristo: The Montecristo Classic is now available in a mini cigarillo format.
- Viaje: The company announced the Viaje Birthday Blend 2019 and the Zombie Super Shot 2019.
- Warped Cigars: The company’s Flor Del Valle Ghost Orchid will have its official launch at the 2019 IPCPR.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9 sponsors. This week Rep. Mark Meadows [R-North Carolina] signed on as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is 37. Meanwhile ,a bill has been introduced that would raise Tobacco Purchase Age to 21
- FDA: Senator Marco Rubio held a Field Hearing in Ybor City
- Washington: The state became the ninth one to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21 as Governor Jay Inslee signed a bill passed by the legislature into law.
- Alec Bradley Fine & Rare RS 10=(86) Second Issue
- AJ Fernandez New World Cameroon Selection Toro
- Espinosa Eminent Domain
- Tatuaje TAA 50th
This month’s editorial is titled “Cigar Media Matters”
Prime Time Show
For Episode 90, Eddy Guerra of Altadis U.S.A. was our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked about classic video games and in our Deliberation Segment, we discussed two industry topics.
Prime Time Special Edition
No Show this week
Episode 91 (4/11/19): Kyle Gellis, Warped Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date April 6th…
- Apr 6, 2011: We reviewed the Tatuaje El Triunfador Lancero (Original Blend)
- Apr 6, 2012: We reviewed the C & C Connecticut
- Apr 6, 2013: We reported on the La Dueña No 13
- Apr 6, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 12 (4/6/13)
- Apr 6, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Room 101 Master Collection Two Roxxo
- Apr 6, 2015: We reported on Espinosa Cigars hiring a Northeastern Sales Manager
- Apr 6, 2015: We assessed the Quesada Reserva Privada Robusto
- Apr 6, 2015: We reported on Warped Cigars shipping La Hacienda
- Apr 6, 2016: We reported on the release of the Wilson Adams Black Label
- Apr 6, 2016: We reported on the Black Label Trading Company Morphine 2016 Edition
- Apr 6, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review for the AFR-75 Edmundo by PDR Cigars
- Apr 6, 2017: We assessed the Crux Bull & Bear Toro
- Apr 6, 2017: We reported on Miguel Schoedel departing Duran Cigars for Crowned Heads
- Apr 6,2018: We reported on the CAO Zócalo
- Apr 6, 2018: We reported on the expansion of the Marrero Cigars sales force
- Apr 6, 2018: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Protocol Probable Cause Robusto by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- Apr 6, 2018: We reported on the Texas cigar groups petitioning the Court to throw out Warning Label Requirements
- Apr 6, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 48: Tony Bellatto, La Barba Cigars