The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 326 (4/20/19)
Feature of the Week: Tobacco 21 in the Cross Hairs
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced his plans to introduce legislation to raise the tobacco purchase age nationally to 21. Meanwhile, Delaware became the latest state to raise its tobacco purchase age to 21. As we pointed out this week, battle against this movement has been non-existent.
News and Previews
- Davidoff: The company recently announced its Davidoff Exclusive 2019 Series.
- Drew Estate: The company announced the return of the Flying Pigs for 2019.
- Debonaire House: Announced the details around the Indian Motorcycle Connecticut Shade for the Canadian market.
- La Aurora: The La Aurora 115th Anniversary Limited Edition Cigars have arrived at U.S. stores.
- Warped Cigars: The Flor de Valle Ghost Orchid has been renamed to Selection de Valle
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9 sponsors. This week Rep. Robert Aderholt [R-Alabama], Rep Rob Woodall [R-Georgia], Rep David Joyce [R-Ohio], and Rep Daniel Meuser [R-Pennsylvania]] signed on as a co-sponsors. The total number of sponsors is now at 46 Meanwhile, HR 2339 was introduced by Representative Donna Shalala [D-Florida] and Rep Frank Pallone [R-New Jersey]that includes language to raise the tobacco purchase age, ban flavored tobacco, and restrict internet sales.
- Delaware: The State became the 11th one to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Trump Administration: National Security Adviser John Bolton announced plans for further travel restrictions to Cuba and further sanctions against Nicaragua
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
For Episode 92, Pedro Gomez of Drew Estate was our special guest. On our Alec Bradley Live True segment where we talked about going to a live baseball game. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we looked at luxury cigars.
Prime Time Special Edition
No Show this week
No Show 4/25/19
Episode 93 (5/2/19) TBA
Episode 94 (5/9/19) TBA
Episode 95 (5/16/19) Florida Barn Smoker 2019 Pre-Game Show with Jeff Borysiewicz
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #52 (4/22/19): The Lost Cigars
On this date April 20th…
- Apr 20, 2012: We reviewed the Montecristo New York Connoisseur Edition. This was a cigar that finished as our #2 Cigar for 2012.
- Apr 20, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 14 (4/20/13)
- Apr 20, 2014: We assessed the D’Crossier Golden Blend Aged 10 Years
- Apr 20, 2015: We assessed the Arturo Fuente Unnamed Reserve 2014
- Apr 20, 2015: We published the feature story “Andre Farkas Discusses Viaje 2015 Plans“
- Apr 20, 2016: We reported on Jonathan Drew launching John Drew Brands
- Apr 20, 2016: We assessed the Hoyo Robusto by Hoyo de Monterrey
- Apr 20, 2016: We reported on the Padrón Dámaso Gets Two New Vitolas
- Apr 20, 2017: We assessed the Partagas Heritage Rothschild
- Apr 20, 2017: We reported on the return of the Alec Bradley Nica Puro Diamond Rough-Cut
- Apr 20, 2018: We published the TAA Exclusive Series 2017 Post Game Report
- Apr 20, 2018: We reported on Boutique Blends’ plans to release the Aging Room Small Batch Pura Cepa