The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 330 (5/18/19)
Feature of the Week: Emilio AF1 and AF2 Releases Return
Emilio’s AF1 and AF2, boutique cigars that had a strong following are returning. This week Fabrica Oveja Negra announced it is taking over production and has repackaged these two cigars. The cigars will still be sold under the Emilio brand.
News and Previews
- Davidoff: The 2019 Golden Band Award Nominees has been announced.
- Crowned Heads: The company has done a limited run of the Crowned Heads HCC XXV LE 2019, an exclusive cigar for members of Hickory Cigar Club.
- Crux Cigar Company: The Crux Epicure Maduro is now heading to stores.
- Global Premium Cigars: The1502 Blue Sapphire Lancero Released is now heading to stores.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week five new co-sponsors were added: Jack Bergman [R-Michigan], Bill Flores [R-Texas], Ross Spano [R-Florida], Paul Mitchell [R-Michigan], and Barry Loudermilk [R-Georgia] The total number of sponsors is now at 51.
- FDA: A U.S. District Court has overturned the FDA’s delay of substantial equivalence till August 2021. The Court has told the FDA to submit a new plan with an acceleration time (Halfwheel story)
- Arkansas: The State has become the 12th to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21
- Maryland: The State has become the 13th to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21
- Texas: The State House of Representatives has approved a bill to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21. This now returns to the State Senate for reconciliation.
- Vermont: The State has become the 14th to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21
- CAO Estelí (TAA Exclusive)
- Crowned Heads Buckeye Land
- Gran Habano Blue in Green Gran Robusto
- La Aurora Hors D’Age Salomon
Agile Cigar Review
Prime Time Show
On Episode 95, we did our Florida Barn Smoke Pre-Game Show for 2019 with Jeff Borysiewicz.
Prime Time Special Edition
No Show This Week
Episode 96 (5/23/19) Justin Andrews, General Cigar
Episode 97 (5/30/19) Terence Reilly and Fred Revery, Panel Discussion
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #54 (5/2119): Indianapolis 500 Preview Show
On this date May 18th…
- May 18, 2011: We look at when the State of Maryland was considering banning cigar purchases on the internet.
- May 18, 2012: We provided an exclusive first review of a pre-release of the AJ Fernandez Pinolero.
- May 18, 2012: We reviewed the Undercrown Corona ¡Viva! by Drew Estate
- May 18, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 18 (5/18/13)
- May 18, 2013: We previewed the Viaje Secret Sauce
- May 18, 2013: We reported on the LNews: Tatuaje Avion 13 to Feature Two Blends
- May 18, 2014: We assessed the Brun del Ré Colonial
- May 18, 2015: We reported on the Espinosa Laranja Caixa
- May 18, 2015: We assessed the Lost & Found Racks on Racks
- May 18, 2016: We reported on new Flor de Selva branding.
- May 18, 2016: We assessed the Viaje Skull and Bones Big Ivan 2016
- May 18, 2016: We reported on the Fratello Bianco Boxer
- May 18, 2016: We reported on Altadis USA Brings bringing back Por Larrañaga
- May 18, 2017: We assessed the Hoyo La Amistad Rothschild
- May 18, 2018: We assessed the Viaje Exclusivo Nicaragua Petite Lancero
- May 18, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 53: FSG Barn Smoker Pre-Game w/Jeff Borysiewicz