The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 40 (Edition 189 8/27/16)
Feature of the Week: Matilde Serena Introduced
While Matilde Cigars focused on the box-pressed Matilde Quadrata as its feature cigar at IPCPR, the company had one more surprise. Quietly a new cigar known as the Matilde Serena made its way to select retailers. This is the first Connecticut Shade offering by Jose Seijas’ company. We got the details here.
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
Our detailed product reports continued this week from the IPCPR Trade Show.
- Duran Cigars: The company unveiled a new value-priced offering called Nicatabaco Factory Blend No. 5.
- PDR Cigars: We looked at the new El Trovador line. We also looked at a new line extension to the Small Batch Reserve line known as Wicked Pug.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: We took a look at the Rocky Patel Prohibition Connecticut
- Caldwell Cigar Company: We took at look at several new releases including Savages and Anastasia. We also looked at the new The King is Dead Toro line extension.
- Casa Fernandez: We looked the new Aganorsa Leaf TABSA offering.
- Catelli Cigar Company: We looked at a new box-pressed offering offered by the company, the Catelli Boxare.
- E.P. Carrillo: We looked at a value-priced offering known as Grand Prize by E.P. Carrillo.
- JC Newman Cigar Company: We looked at the new Perla del Mar Maduro line.
- Foundry Tobacco Company: We looked at a line that is a collaboration with A.J. Fernandez called Time Flies.
- Hoyo de Monterrey: We looked at another collaboration by General Cigar and A.J. Fernandez called Hoyo La Amistad.
- IndianHead Cigars: We looked at a new offering under the La Galera brand known as the La Galera 1936 Box Pressed.
- JRE Tobacco Company: We looked at the new revamped and expanded Tatascan line.
- L’Atelier Imports: We took a look at the L’Atelier Identite – a unique offering featuring Sancti Spiritus in all three components of the cigar – wrapper, binder, and filler. We also took a look at the new Surrogates Crystal Baller 646 line extension.
- La Palina Cigars: We took a look at a new offering out of El Titan de Bronze, the La Palina Illumination.
- Montecristo: We took a look at a new jar offering called Montecristo Classic Series Special No. 2.
- Punch: We looked at the new Punch Signature Pita line extension.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: Skip Martin’s company showcased the new RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal OM at this year’s IPCPR – a shop exclusive to Stogies World Class Cigars in Houston.
- Romeo y Julieta: Altadis is partnering with the Placencia factory again – this time with the new Romeo 505 Nicaragua by Romeo y Julieta line.
- Sindicato Cigars: We took a look at the Sindicato Masters Series.
- Torano Cigars: We looked at the details around the new Torano Vault offerings
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
- California: A bill that would ban smoking within 250 feet of Youth Sporting Events has been sent to Governor Jerry Brown’s desk.
- Colorado: A proposed 22% tax increase for cigars will appear on the state’s ballot this November.
- Missouri: The proposed tax hike that was the result of a petition has survived a court challenge and will be on the state’s ballot this November.
- North Dakota: There will also be a proposed tobacco tax hike on this state’s ballot this November.
Our stogies included:
Rocky Patel Special Edition Robusto
Ashton ESG 24 Year Salute
Camacho 1962 Pre-Embargo
Don Bernardo El Caballero El Rey
L’Atelier Maduro LAT54
Leaf by Oscar Maduro 6 x 60
Partagas 170 Aniversario (Cuba)
RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794 Robusto (Cigar Dojo Edition)
Romeo by Romeo y Julieta Aging Room Small Batch F25 Capriccio
Viaje C-4 2016
On this date August 27th…
- August 27th 2010: We covered our an installment from Tales from the IPCPR – A Review of the 7-20-4 Cigar
- August 27th 2011: We assessed the Viaje Platino Reserva VPR DT (Double Torpedo).
- August 27th 2012: We published our Dan Tiant of Tiant Cigar Group.
- August 27th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Herrera Esteli by Drew Estate.
- August 27th 2013: We reported on Jorge Padron and Jim Young being named to the CRA Board
- August 27th 2013: We reported on new Executive Appointments at Joya de Nicaragua.
- August 27th 2013: We assessed the 262 Revere Lonsdale (a J. Shepherd Retail Exclusive)
- August 27th 2013: We posted a press release announcing Blessed Leaf.
- August 27th 2013: We reported on D’Crossier Diplomacy Series Presidential Collection line extensions.
- August 27th 2014: We reported on the Viaje Oro Reserva and Viaje Platino Reserva Churchill “Aficionado” line extensions.
- August 27th 2014: We broke news on the return of My Father Cigars’ El Rey de Los Habanos Returns as a shop exclusive to The Pipe and Pint in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- August 27th 2014: We reported on the Viaje White Label Project (WLP) TB#7.
- August 27th 2014: We assessed the 601 La Bomba Warhead II by Espinosa Cigars.
- August 27th 2014: We reported on Camacho Cigars’ distribution agreement in Canada.
- August 27th 2015: We assessed Tatuaje The Jackal.