The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 25 (Edition 226 5/13/17)
Feature of the Week: Dr. Scott Gottlieb Confirmed as FDA Commissioner
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has a new Commissioner in Dr. Scott Gottlieb. Today Gottlieb was confirmed by the United States Senate in a vote of 57 -42. We’ve got the details here.
- Avo Cigars: This week the company formally announced the Avo Syncro South America Ritmo, a blend featuring tobaccos from seven countries.
- Crowned Heads: The company’s fourth TAA release the The Angel’s Anvil 2017 has been released.
- Gran Habano Cigars: The company is releasing the new Gran Habano Releases S.T.K. Black Dahlia by George Rico.
- H. Upmann: Altadis USA has released the new H. Upmann by AJ Fernandez, Altadis’ latest collaboration done with master blender AJ Fernandez.
- La Palina Cigars: Bill Paley will be in attendance as his company opens La Palina’s first branded lounge at the famed Carnegie Club in New York City on May 23rd.
- Padrón Cigars: The company announced two new line extensions to the Padrón 1964 Anniversary that will feature square tubes – the Soberano and Presidente.
- Patina Cigars: The Patina Connecticut and Patina Habano, the first two cigars from the partnership between Mombacho Cigars and Mo Maali are now heading to retailers.
- Tabacalera USA: Named Steve Lochan General Manager of Casa de Montecristo
- FDA: The agency announced the revised timetable affecting the cigar industry as a result of the 90-day deferment in upcoming compliance deadlines agreed to with the cigar industry.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 103.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added The total sponsor count remains at 58.
- Pennsylvania: A widespread statewide smoking ban has been proposed by Representative Matthew Baker.
- West Virginia: Senator Joe Manchin met with cigar industry leaders at the J.C. Newman Cigar Company in Florida. No press information was released as a result of the meeting.
This week we published a feature story called “General Cigar Company Strengthens Ground Game Through Brand Ambassador Team”
Prime Time Show
For Episode 5, Matt Booth was our special guest. This week, we caught up with Matt since he stepped away from the cigar business. Matt has one of the most dynamic and unpredictable personalities and you will see that in the interview.
Our show is available on YouTube, Podbean, iTunes, Tune In Radio, and Google Play.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 6 (5/18/17): Fred Rewey (Nomad Cigar Company), John Reiner (Special Co-Host)
Episode 7 (5/25/17): Enrique Sanchez Icaza, 1502 Cigars
Episode 8 (6/1/17): James Brown, Black Label Trading Co / Black Works Studio
Episode 9 (6/8/17): Riste Riatevski, JSK Cigars, Tom Person (Special Co-Host)
Episode 10 (6/15/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
Episode 11 (6/22/17): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Episode 12 (6/29/17): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company
On this date May 6th…
- May 13th, 2011: We did a pre-release assessment of the EO 601 La Bomba.
- May 13th, 2011: We did a Feature Story on 262 Cigars.
- May 13th, 2012: We assessed the Viaje Exclusivo Robusto 2012.
- May 13th, 2012: We assessed the J. Grotto Series by Ocean State Cigars.
- May 13th, 2013: We reported on an distribution agreement between PDR Cigars and El Primer Mundo Cigars.
- May 13th, 2013: We previewed the 2013 God of Fire releases.
- May 13th, 2013: We assessed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 – Tony the Boss Enforcer cigar.
- May 13th, 2014: We assessed the Tatuaje Tattoo (2014) Caballero.
- May 13th, 2014: We reported on the CAO Natural Disasters series.
- May 13th, 2014: We reported on the Crowned Heads Headley Grange Laguito No. 6 line extension.
- May 13th, 2014: We reported on the Camacho Ecuador.
- May 13th, 2015: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo Perez-Carrillo La Historia Regalias d’Celia
- May 13th, 2015: We assessed the A.J. Fernandez New World Brute.
- May 13th, 2015: We published a Manufacturer and Brand Owner Guide for the Southern Cigar Festival.
- May 13th, 2016: We reported on the launch of the Fratello Bianco IV.
- May 13th, 2016: We assessed the MBombay Corojo Oscuro Double Corona.
- May 13th, 2016: We reported on CRA’a launch of two new petitions.
- May 13th, 2016: We reported on the launch of Kafie 1901 Trading Company Coffee in Support of CRA