The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 52 (Edition 253 11/18/17)
Feature of the Week: Altadis U.S.A. and Crowned Heads Collaborate on Montecristo Ciudad de Musica
Altadis U.S.A. has announced it has collaborated with Nashville-based Crowned Heads on a new Montecristo called Montecristo Ciudad de Música. The cigar will be made by Ernesto Perez-Carrillo, Jr. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- 1502 Cigars: The company has released the 1502 XO Salomon.
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company will now produce and distribute the (non-Cuban) Ramon Allones line.
- Camacho Cigars: Camp Camacho, the company’s ‘s factory tour program is returning.
- Davidoff: A new Davidoff Lounge has opened in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smoke Inn.
- Isabella Cigar Company: The new Stardust project has been released.
- Plasencia Cigars: The Plasencia Cosecha 146 has been released into the U.S. market.
- Saga Short Tales Tomo V: L.A.V. (Laudamus Abundancia Veteres) by De Los Reyes Cigars
- Undercrown Sun Grown Corona by Drew Estate
- Crux Epicure Robusto
- Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder Robusto
- The Wise Man (El Güegüense) Maduro Robusto by Foundation Cigar Company
Agile Cigar Reviews
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new sponsors were added. including Darrel Issa [R-California] and Steve Womack [R-Arizona]: The total number of sponsors is now at 137.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week one new co-sponsor, Tom O’Halleran [D-Arizona] was added. The total number of sponsors remains 88.
- Senate Bill 2100: This bill proposes raising the smoking age nationally to 21.
- Health and Human Services: President Trump has nominated Alex Azar to be the next Secretary of Health and Human Services.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 30. We welcomed our Special Guest Ian Reith, owner and founder of Dapper Cigar Company. For our Debonaire Ideal segment we talked Thanksgiving and finally in our Deliberation segment we talk about the recent announcement on the collaboration between Altadis U.S.A. and Crowned Heads.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #16, we did a recap of the 2017 La Zona Palooza Event and covered a variety of news topics in the cigar business
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 31 (11/21/17): Oliver Nivaud, United Cigars *Tuesday Show*
Episode 32 (11/30/17): Carson Serino, Serino Cigar Company
Episode 33 (12/5/17): The 2017 Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game Analysis
Episode 34 (12/14/17): Ram Rodriguez, El Artista
On this date November 18th…
- November 18th, 2011: We assessed the Wicked Indie by East India Trading Company
- November 18th, 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the E.P. Carrillo Cardinal Natural
- November 18th, 2013: We assessed the Raices Cubanas 1941 by Alec Bradley.
- November 18th, 2013: We reported on the launch of ONE 13 Cigars.
- November 18th, 2014: We reported on Drew Estate announcing a limited run of Liga Privada Único Serie Ratzilla.
- November 18th, 2014: We reported on the Buckingham by Crowned Heads.
- November 18h, 2014: We reported on plans for the A.J. Fernandez New World Connecticut.
- November 18th, 2015: We reported on the Fratello Boxer Series sampler.
- November 18th, 2015: We assessed the Drew Estate Undercrown Shade Gran Toro
- November 18th, 2015: We reported on the availability of the Aladino.
- November 18th, 2015: We reported on the Sindicato Maniac.
- November 18th, 2015: We reported on Justin Andrews joining General Cigar.
- November 18th, 2016: We reported on Nat Sherman relocating its Corporate Headquarters to Englewood, NJ.
- November 18th, 2016: We assessed the Davidoff Royal Release Robusto.
- November 18th, 2016: We reported on Reynolds American rejecting British American Tobacco buyout offer.