The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 24 (Edition 277 5/5/18)
Feature of the Week: TAA Cigars Announced
The Tobacconist Association of America (TAA) held its annual convention in Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic. At the convention, there were 14 new releases unveiled for the exclusive series of cigars being offered by member retailers, bringing the total number to 23. We covered the details on an episode of Prime Cuts.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The company has announced the Liga Privada No. 9 Corona Viva line extension, a size that is making its debut at CIGARfest.
- Altadis U.S.A.: The Montecristo Artisan Series Batch 1 is returning to be a part of the 2018 TAA Exclusive Series.
- Asylum Cigars: The company released the Asylum Medulla Oblongata Maduro.
- AVO: The AVO Maduro shipped to retailers this week.
- C.L.E. Cigar Company: The EIROA First 20 Years Diadema was unveiled at the 2018 TAA Convention.
- Colibri: The company has released its new Apex lighter.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company announced its fourth line, the Protocol Official Misconduct. In addition, the company announced the Protocol Probable Cause Corona Gorda,
- E.P. Carrillo: The company announced its first TAA exclusive cigar, the E.P. Carrillo TAA Exclusive.
- General Cigar: Named Chris Tarr Vice President of Marketing
- Gurkha: The company announced its first TAA exclusive cigar, the Gurkha Heritage Rosado Toro.
- My Father Cigars: The Flor de las Antillas Lancero is returning to be a part of the 2018 TAA Exclusive Series.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company announced the Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduro DeSocio as an exclusive to Alliance Cigar.
- Southern Draw: The company announced the Rose of Sharon Perfecto as the second installment of its IGNITE Series.
- Ventura Cigar Company: Added Brian Massey to its marketing team.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- Casa Fernandez Miami Tobacco Haven 30th
- La Aurora Preferidos 1903 Edition Double Barrel Aged
- Romeo y Julieta Reserve Rare 11 Years Old by Altadis U.S.A.
Agile Cigar Reviews
This month’s editorial is “Three Cs Add Up to One Big C”
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
On Episode 51, we welcome Steve Saka of Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust as our special guest. We covered Epic Road Trips on the Debonaire Ideal and hit Steve with our own version “Saka Questions of the Week”
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 52 (5/10/18): Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
5/24/18: No Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #30: TBA
Special Edition #31 (5/21/18): One Year Anniversary with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr.
Special Edition #32 (5/22/18): Indianapolis 500 Preview
On this date May 5th
- May 5th, 2011: We assessed the My Father El Picador
- May 5th, 2012: We assessed the CAO Last Stick Standing (LSS)
- May 5th, 2013: We published a feature story called “Changes at Joya de Nicaragua“.
- May 5th, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Zombie 2013 (Black Box Edition)
- May 5th, 2015: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2015 Vencedores
- May 5th, 2016: The FDA announced Deeming Rule on Premium Cigars.
- May 5th, 2016: We published an Agile Cigar Review on the CAO Amazon Basin.
- May 5th, 2017: We reported on the Asylum 13 Box Pressed 70 x 7 becoming a part of the 2017 TAA Exclusive Series
- May 5th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 4 featuring the Developing Palates team.