The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 308 (12/15/18)
Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the ninth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is doing a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 7, 2019, we will count down the Top 30 Cigars for 2018. This week we unveiled selections #29 through #23:
- #23: Alec Bradley Magic Toast Robusto
- #24: Davidoff – The Master Selection 2010
- #25: Montecristo Ciudad de Musica Robusto
- #26: Wayfarer Corona Gorda by Serino Cigar Company
- #27: RoMa Craft Tobac CRAFT 2018
- #28: Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Gran Reserva Belicoso
- #29: The T Toro
News and Previews
- Daniel Marshall: Has announced its new Cash for Cigar Clunkers Program.
- Drew Estate: The company announced the first retailers relected to receive the Liga Privada 10 Year Aniversario and the Liga Privada H99 Allocations. The company also shipped three offerings in the revamped Herrera Esteli line.
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company is getting ready to ship the New World Cameroon Selection to retailers
- Crowned Heads: This week the Nashville Based company announced Juarez – an exclusive offering to Thompson Cigar.
- Davidoff: Has announced the Davidoff Macau as the next Vault Series release. The company
- IPCPR: Has named Lisa Cox Senior Director of Trade Show & Events
- Kristoff: The company announced a new limited production size of the Pistoff Kristoff known as Extremely Pistoff Kristoff.
- PDR Cigars: The company will be shipping its first installment of AR Cigar Collective next week.
- Viaje: The company is shipping the Viaje Holiday Blend Candy Cane to select retailers.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Ohio: The City of Cincinnati has voted to raise the smoking age to 21.
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 77, Pete Johnson of Tatuaje Cigars was our special guest.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
Episode 78 (12/20/18) – Klaas Kelner, Davidoff
Episode 79 (12/27/18) – Tim Wong, Pier 28 Premium Cigars
Episode 80 (1/3/19): James Brown, BLTC
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 44 (12/18/18): Tom Lazuka, Asylum/CLE Cigars
On this date December 15th
- Dec 15, 2010: We revealed the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Obelisco as the #16 Cigar of the Year
- Dec 15, 2010: We reported on the Gurkha exclusive cigar for New York.
- Dec 15, 2011: We revealed the Cain Daytona as the #15 Cigar of the Year for 2011
- Dec 15, 2012: We previewed the Dunhill Aged Reserva Especial 2003
- Dec 15, 2012: We revealed the La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reserva as the #16 Cigar of the Year for 2012
- Dec 15, 2013: We revealed the 601 La Bomba Warhead by Espinosa Cigars as the #16 Cigar of the Year for 2013
- Dec 15, 2013: We assessed the Chinnock Cellars Pressoir
- Dec 15, 2014: We revealed the Aging Room Bin No. 1 by Boutique Blends as the #16 Cigar of the Year for 2014
- Dec 15, 2014: We reported on the Drew Estate “The Pope of Greenwich Village” as the 10th Installment of Smoke Inn Microblend Series
- Dec 15, 2014: We reported on Davidoff adding a third Flagship Store in New York
- Dec 15, 2014: We published an Assessment Update on the AVO Limited Edition 2013 – The Dominant 13th
- Dec 15, 2015: We reported on Sosa Cigars bringing back the Santa Julia
- Dec 15, 2015: We assessed the Cubanacan HR Sublime
- Dec 15, 2015: We revealed the Señorial 65th Anniversary Perfecto Elégance by Las Cumbres Tabaco as the #16 Cigar of the Year for 2015.
- Dec 15, 2015: We assessed the Rocky Patel Special Reserve Sun Grown Maduro Robusto
- Dec 15, 2016: We published an Agile Cigar Review on the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial 10/50 (Connecticut)
- Dec 15, 2016: We reported on Congressman Mark Meadows listing the FDA Deeming Rules on cigars on a proposed list of Federal regulations to be revoked
- Dec 15, 2016: We revealed the LH Maduro Lancero as the #24 Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- Dec 15, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Illusione Ultra OP No. 3
- Dec 15, 2017: We reported on Davidoff of Geneva USA promoting Dylan Austin to Vice President of Sales and Marketing
- Dec 15, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 34: Ram Rodriguez, Tabacalera El Artista