The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 311 (1/5/19)
2018 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the ninth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is doing a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 7, 2019, we will count down the Top 30 Cigars for 2018. This week we unveiled selections #4 through #9:
- #4: Ramon Allones by AJ Fernandez Toro
- #5: MQBA Nikka by Bombay Tobak
- #6: Las 6 Provincias LHB by Espinosa Cigars
- #7: Mi Querida Gordita by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- #8: Debonaire Daybreak Corona
- #9: Davidoff Chefs Edition 2018
Year in Review
This week we published “Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories and Themes of 2018”
Feature of the Week: Jack Toraño Joins Espinosa Cigars
Shortly after parting ways with General Cigar, Jack Toraño is General Cigar’s new Director of Sales.
News and Previews
- Davidoff: The company announced the Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition 2019
- KMA Talk Radio: Our media partner announced a move to a new studio.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company announced the Protocol John Doe. It’s a cigar that sold out the 300 bundle allocation in several hours.
- GTO Dominican Cigars: The company announced it is repackaging as well as renaming its 10th Anniversary release. The new name is Corona de GTO 10 Años Anniversario.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: Vice President of Marketing Mark Weissenberger announced his resignation.
- Viaje: The company announced the fifth installment of its “Pepper” series, the Viaje Scotch Bonnet.
This week we published Editor’s Corner #95: Postseason 2018
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. The total number of sponsors is currently at 6.
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 80, James Brown of Black Label Trading Company and Black Works Studio was our special guest.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
Episode 81 (1/10/19): Ian Reith, Dapper Cigar Company
Episode 82 (1/17/19): Cigar of the Year Panel Discussion
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 45 (1/15/19) – Year in Review/Richard Oveton
Special Edition 46 (1/22/19) – The LFD Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
On this date January 5th
- Jan 5, 2011: We reported on the AVO LE 11 being in the Works
- Jan 5, 2011: We assessed the Tatuaje Gran Cojonu
- Jan 5, 2012: We assessed the Casa Fernandez Miami Reserva
- Jan 5, 2013: We reported on the return of the El Centurion.
- Jan 5, 2013: We published our 2012 Premium Cigar Manufacturer Rankings
- Jan 5, 2014: We assessed the AKA Hybrid
- Jan 5, 2015: We published our list for Best Aged Cigars for 2014
- Jan 5, 2015: We reported on the Nat Cicco HHB Gold and Nat Cicco HHB Habano
- Jan 5, 2015: We reported on JM Tobacco sealed-in humidity packs
- Jan 5, 2016: We reported on the Arturo Fuente Unnamed Reserve 2015
- Jan 5, 2016: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6
- Jan 5, 2016: We published our list for Best Aged Cigars for 2015
- Jan 5, 2017: We revealed the Paul Garmirian 25th Anniversary Connoisseur as the #7 Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- Jan 5, 2017: We assessed the La Barba One & Only
- Jan 5, 2017: We reported on the Black Works Studio Sindustry release
- Jan 5, 2018: We reported on a Pre-Christmas IPCPR Retailer Survey
- Jan 5, 2018: We revealed the Davidoff Nicaragua 6 x 60 as the #15 Cigar of the Year for 2017