The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 328 (5/4/19)
Feature of the Week: Imperial Brands Announces Exit from Cigar Industry
Last year, Imperial Brands announced plans to target opportunities for divestiture. This past week, the tobacco giant announced it will be selling off its cigar business including Altadis U.S.A, Habanos SA, JR Cigar, and Casa de Montecristo. We’ve got the details here.
We also had some editorial thoughts on this matter.
News and Previews
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company announced the shop-exclusive Aganorsa Leaf Famous 80th Anniversary cigar.
- Cornelius & Anthony: We reported on the Bailey family exiting the cigarette business.
- LH Premium Cigars: The company has added the 7 x 70 LH Maduro Grande Gordo.
- Villiger Cigars: The company announced it will not attend the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Crowned Heads: The Nashville-based company announced details around the Las Calaveras EL 2019 release.
- IPCPR: Named Joshua Harbusky its new Director of Federal Government Affairs
- JSK Cigars: The JSK Tyrannical Buc Maduro is heading to retailers.
- United Cigar: The company announced new packaging for La Gianna Havana.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week five new co-sponsors were added: Jack Bergman [R-Michigan], Bill Flores [R-Texas], Ross Spano [R-Florida], Paul Mitchell [R-Michigan], and Barry Loudermilk [R-Georgia] The total number of sponsors is now at 51.
- Canada: Plain packaging is set to take effect November 9, 2019
- Colorado: The bill to raise the tobacco tax to 62 percent of the wholesale price has been defeated
- Florida: After passing in the State Senate, the proposed bill to raise the tobacco purchase to 21 died in the State House.
- Nebraska: A bill has been introduced that would raise the tobacco purchase age to 19.
- Vermont: The State Senate has approved a bill that would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21
- Black Label Trading Company Deliverance Porcelain (Corona Gorda – 2018)
- Gurkha Heritage Rosado Toro (TAA Exclusive)
- My Father 10th Anniversary Limited Edition 2018
- Pier 28 Oscuro Perfecto
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
On Episode 93, we had our All-Star Media Panel #4 featuring Ben Lee of Stogie Review and Tripp Waldrop of Cigar Federation.
Prime Time Special Edition
No Show this week.
Episode 94 (5/9/19) TBA
Episode 95 (5/16/19) Florida Barn Smoker 2019 Pre-Game Show with Jeff Borysiewicz
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition TBA (5/2119): Indianapolis 500 Preview Show
On this date May 4th…
- May 4, 2011: We reviewed the Esteban Carreras Habano Maduro.
- May 4, 2011: We provided some information on the 601 La Bomba – which was a very anticipated cigar release back in 2011.
- May 4, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 16 (5/4/13)
- May 4, 2013: We reported on the launch of the Gran Habano tGeorge Rico STK Miami Line
- May 4, 2013: We published the feature story “Drew Estate CEO Steve Saka Talks Nica Rustica“
- May 4, 2014: We published the a pre-review on the Crux Passport
- May 4, 2014: We reported on the Warped Cigar El Oso MaMa
- May 4, 2015: We assessed the La Aurora Untamed Box-Pressed becoming Draper’s 128th Aniversario Cigar
- May 4, 2015: We assessed the Debonaire Maduro Belicoso
- May 4, 2016: We reported on California raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- May 4, 2016: We reported on the MLB Cigar Ventures David P. Ehrlich Tremont
- May 4, 2016: We reported on launch of Serino Cigar Company and the Serino Royale line.
- May 4, 2016: We reported on the Padrón 1926 Serie No. 48 Natural and Maduro to 2016 TAA Exclusive Series offerings
- May 4, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Flor de Selva Petit by Maya Selva Cigars
- May 4, 2017: We announced Gurkha’s plans to American Caribbean Cigars Factory
- May 4, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the 7-20-4 Hustler Dog Walker
- May 4, 2017: We reported on the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2017
- May 4, 2018: We reported on the C.L.E. Cigar EIROA First 20 Years Diadema release gong to the TAA
- May 4, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the El Primer Mundo Epifania Toro
- May 4, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 51: Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust