The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 344 (8/31/19)
Feature of the Week: Altria Confirms Merger Talks Underway with Philip Morris International
Altria Group Inc. has announced it is in discussions with Philip Morris International regarding a potential all-stock merger of equals. If the merger happens it will reunite the two groups. We’ve got the details here.
2019 IPCPR Product Reports:
Our 2019 IPCPR Recaps will wrap up next week!
- Drew Estate Shipping Undercrown Shade Suprema
- AJ Fernandez Días de Gloria Heads to Retailers
- Rocky Patel ALR Second Edition Debuts at the 2019 IPCPR
- Tatuaje Launches El Triunfador Favoritos at 2019 IPCPR
- Tatuaje Launches Tattoo Favoritos at 2019 IPCPR
2019 IPCPR Spotlights
This week we finished our 2019 IPCPR Coverage:
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: A.C.E. Prime
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Cigar Marketplace
- IIPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Five Companies that “Held the Line” at the 2019 Trade Show
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Oveja Negra Brands
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Rocky Patel Premium Cigars
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Tatuaje Cigars
- Drew Estate: The company has shipped the ACID 20.
- Cavalier Genève: The company has shipped the Cavalier Genève LE19
- My Father Cigars: The My Father El Hijo has returned to Smoke Inn.
- Warped Cigars: The company announced Eagles Descent
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now at 79.
- California: Los Angeles County is considering a flavored tobacco ban. Meanwhile Out-of-state California tobacco distributors must collect excise tax from their California customers based on the customer’s wholesale cost as outlined by the State Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #59, we welcome Alec and Bradley Rubin, Alec Bradley Cigars
Episode 108 (9/5/19): Nick Perdomo, Perdomo Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 60 (9/10/19): Glynn Loope, Cigar Rights of America
On this date August 31st..
- Aug 31, 2010: We recap our visit to the Miami Cigar/La Aurora Lounge at the 2010 IPCPR Trade Show in New Orleans.
- Aug 31, 2011: It was announced that Jose Blanco was being named Senior Vice President of Joya de Nicaragua.
- Aug 31, 2012: We re-posted a press release announcing the launch of La Aurora’s Fernando Leon in NYC
- Aug 31, 2012: We assessed a pre-release version of the Zino Platinum Ten Toro X.
- Aug 31, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 33 (8/31/13)
- Aug 31, 2014: We assessed the Buena Vista Reserva 2008 by MGM Cigars
- Aug 31, 2015: We assessed the Viaje TNT 2015
- Aug 31, 2015: We reported on the La Colmena Amado No. 407 30th Anniversary Cigar for R. Field Wine Company in Hawaii
- Aug 31, 2015: We reported on Boutique Blends Cigars naming Charlie Lopez Director of Sales
- Aug 31, 2016: We reported on the Nomad SA-17 Lancero becoming regular production
- Aug 31, 2016: We reported on Montecristo Artisan Batch 1 Unveiled by Atadis USA at 2016 IPCPR
- Aug 31, 2016: We reported on Casa Fernandez adding the JFR Lunatic Habano Line
- Aug 31, 2016: We reported on the Las Cumbres Tabaco Releasing Señorial CT, Freyja 12, and Freyja Nocturnal
- Aug 31, 2017: We reported on ITG and Tabacalera USA Donate to Texas Recovery
- Aug 31, 2017: We published the feature story Spotlight on White Hat Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Aug 31, 2018: We reported on Alec & Bradley Blind Faith Set to hitting retail shelves
- Aug 31, 2018: We published the feature story Spotlight on Tatuaje Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Aug 31, 2018: We assessed the Emilio Grimalkin Toro (2018)
- Aug 31, 2018: We reported on the Viaje WLP Lemons to Lemonade
- Aug 31, 2018: We published the feature story Spotlight on My Father Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Aug 31, 2018: We reported that Bill Williams passed away