The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
We have completed two installments of our 2014 IPCPR Preview Series. Part 3 will be this Sunday.
Feature of the Week: OMB Changes Language in Proposed FDA Regulations
The White House’s Office of Management and Budget has made changes that significantly weaken the language that detailed Health Risks for Cigars. This marks the second agency in less than a weak to express concerns over the proposed FDA regulations outlined in the Deeming Document. There were no changes to the OMB made as to what the definition of a premium cigar is, where the controversial point as been the $10.00 minimum. It is routine process for FDA proposals to be submitted to the OMB for approval, denial, or modification.
The big news this week is that the period for Public Comment to the FDA’s Deeming Document has been extended 30 days until August 8th. If you are looking for guidance on how to comment, follow the links below:
We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
- FDA Extends Public Comment Period 30 Days
- Small Business Administration Says Economic Impact to Proposed FDA Regulations Underestimated
News and Previews.
This week the busy news leading up to the IPCPR 2014 Trade Show continued
- 262 Cigars: Clint Aaron broke news exclusively to us on Stogie Geeks that the Allegiance Regular will become regular production, add a corona vitola to the line, and that the line will now be made in 20 count boxes.
- Altadis USA: We previewed the Montecristo Espada, the first Nicaraguan puro under the Montecristo brand.
- CLE Cigars: Christian Eiroa’s cornerstone brand is quietly is rolling out a small batch cigar out of Miami called CLE Signature Series Primera Liga de Miami.
- Crowned Heads: The company announced its fourth regular production line, Jericho Hill.
- Emilio Cigars: The company shipped the Draig Cayuquero Lancero.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company will be adding footer bands INCH Line.
- Felipe Gregorio: The company will release the Felipe Gregorio Power 2014. This is the second release of the Felipe Power series – released once every seven years.
- Gran Habano: The Zulu Zulu S.T.K. Miami Mas Paz Edition 2014 will be another batch of the same Zulu Zulu blends, but feature new packaging, new artwork, and a new charitable cause.
- Kuuts LLC: The company officially announced its new Kuuts Nicaraguan Blend.
- La Aurora Cigars: We previewed the upcoming La Aurora Untamed and got some comments from Miami Cigar and Company (La Aurora’s U.S. distributor) President Nestor Miranda not he release.
- Mombacho Cigars: This Canadian-based company will enter the U.S. market with the Tierra Volcan.
- My Father Cigars: We previewed the upcoming My Father Connecticut cigar.
- Roberto P. Duran Cigars: The company will launch Three New Lines at 2014 IPCPR.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company will add the Howitzer line extension to the Maduro and Corojo lines
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company will make a limited run of the Witchcraft. This will be an “inside out” version of the CRAFT 2013 – La Campana de Panama Soberana.
- Royal Gold Cigars: The Casino Gold H.R.S. Line will get a line extension called “The Whale”.
- Warped Cigars: La Colmena Unico Especial will be a line extension that will be made available to those retailers that attend the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
Legislative News (Other)
- FDA: One new co-sponsor was aded to HR792 as Rep Michael Conaway [R-Texas] has signed on. The total is now at 157 co-sponsors (158 total sponsors)
- Hawaii: The law that will require a minimum age of 21 to buy tobacco products in Hawaii County will take effect next week
- New Jersey: A bill that will ban smoking in public parks and beaches has passed through both State Houses and now heads to Governor Chris Christie’s office. Smokers would still be able to smoke in parking lots adjacent to parks and beaches.
We were then joined by Clint Aaron of 262 Cigars. Clint discussed all things 262 and talked about the new 262 Allegiance. He broke news that the Allegiance Regular will become regular production, add a corona vitola to the line, and that the line will now be made in 20 count boxes.
Our smokes of the week included:
Espinosa y Ortega Cubao No. 7
Herrera Esteli Lancero – Edicion Limitada 2014 by Drew Estate
Jaxx LT by La Sirena – Toro
La Palina Goldie Lancero
Padron 1926 No. 35 Maduro
Room 101 Daruma Gold Mutante
Room 101 Daruma Mutante
Room 101 Big Payback Chavala
Viaje Skull and Bones MOAB 2014
- June 28th 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Lil’ Drac.
- June 28th 2012: We re-posted a press release on Ramon Puig Brands Celebrates 40 Year Anniversary
- June 28th 2013: We previewed a the La Palina Maduro 40 – a line extension to La Palina Maduro.
- June 28th 2013: We previewed three line extensions to the La Palina Classic line.
- June 28th 2013: We previewed the La Palina Collection: Mr Sam.
- June 28th 2013: We reported the Arandoza Blue would be getting a new band design.
- June 28th 2013: Arandoza Cigars announced their Arandoza White.
- June 28th 2013: We provided an update on the Emilio Carpe Noctem.
- June 28th 2013: We previewed the CLE Plus.
- June 28th 2013: We previewed Christian Eiroa’s EIROA cigar.
- June 28th 2013: We reported on the opening of Christian Eiroa’s new Aladino Factory.
- June 28th 2013: We previewed the Villiger 125.