The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 3 (Edition 152 12/12/15)
Feature of the Week: Omnibus Bill Could Provide for Premium Cigar Exemption
As Congress is debating what the Federal Budget with the Omnibus Spending Bill, part of the process is to determine what Federal programs will receive funding. With the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) pushing for regulations of premium cigars, it would require such funding. Word has now surfaced that there is a chance for a potential exemption with that proposed bill. Both IPCPR and CRA have issued a Call to Action to its members to contact House Speaker Paul Ryan, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and make their feelings known against federal regulations and keep cigars exempt from them. We got further details here.
The contact numbers are as follows:
Speaker Paul Ryan: 202-225-0600 (Phone), 202.225.5117 (Fax), @SpeakerRyan
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy: 202-225-4000, @GOPLeader
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: 202.224.2541, @McConnellPress
Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the sixth consecutive year, Cigar Coop will be unveiling its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This year we have a new theme, “The Box Worthy Thirty” and have implemented a large set of changes in terms of the criteria. This week we unveiled Cigars #26 through #20.
#26 Casa Magna D. Magnus II Trajan by Quesada Cigars
#25 Espinosa Laranja Reserva Caixa
#24 MBombay Mora No. 4
#23 Sobremesa Cervantes Fino by Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust
#22 Indian Motorcycle Habano Natural Robusto
#21 D’Crossier Selection 512 Lancero
#20 Fratello Bianco I
News and Previews
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: Announced the retirement of Kris Kachaturian, Managing Partner. The Fernandez family will now assume distribution responsibilities for the company.
- Black Works Studio: The new brand made by the people behind Black Label Trading Company is now available. We have details on the NBK, Killer, and Rorschach.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: The company will release the Blind Man’s Bluff Corona as a Shop Exclusive to Burns Tobacconist in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- LUJ: The company has released its limited edition, LUJ OYIN 2015.
- Nat Sherman: The company has released its new luxury Nat Sherman Heritage Humidor Line
- S.T. Dupont: The accessories company will now be distributed by Davidoff in the U.S. market.
- Viaje: We reported on the latest installment of the Friends and Family Series that quietly made its way to select retailers, the Viaje Friends and Family Edicion Limitada Le Joueur.
- Villiger North America: The U.S. arm of Villiger Cigars will undergo a significant restructuring for 2016.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This past week no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 19.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, one new co-sponsor, Henry Johnson [R-Georgia] was added. The total number of sponsors is now at 151.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, five new co-sponsors – Randy Neugebauer [R-Texas], Mark Sanford [R-South Carolina], Alexander Mooney [R-West Virginia], Bob Goodlate [R-Georgia], and George Holding [R-North Carolina]. The total number of sponsors is now at 36.
- Ohio: The Cleveland City Council voted to raise the age to buy tobacco products to 21. Mayor Frank Jackson is expected to sign the legislation into law.
- Saga Golden Age Corona Gorda
- Espinosa Especial No. 4
- Litto Gomez Diez LG 2015 Cubano by La Flor Dominicana
- Macabi USA Peppermint Stick Royal Corona by Sosa Cigars
- Tierra Volcan Fino
This week for Episode 167, Gabriel Alvarez of Maya Selva Cigars was our special guests. We also did a Debonaire Ideal on Frank Sinatra’s 100th birthday and covered our Stogies of the Week. Video for this show should be up next week.
This week’s cigars included:
- Saga Golden Age Corona Gorda
- Rocky Patel Twentieth Anniversary Lancero
- Casa Fernandez Aniversario 2015 L.F. Celine
- Flor de Selva Connecticut Toro by Maya Selva Cigars
- Flor de Selva Maduro Toro by Maya Selva Cigars
- Litto Gomez LG 2015 Cubano by La Flor Dominicana
- Nomad Therapy Connecticut Toro
- Nub Cafe Cappuccino
- Three Unbandeds
On this date December 12th…
- December 12th 2010: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2010, the Oliveros Swag.
- December 12th 2011: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2011, the Casa Magna Domus Magnus.
- December 12th 2012: We assessed the Viaje WLP Stuffed Turkey 2012 White Meat.
- December 12th 2012: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2012, the 2Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Habano.
- December 12th 2013: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2013, the 7-20-4 Hustler.
- December 12th 2013: We reported on the Quesada Seleccion Espana Ninfa.
- December 12th 2013: We assessed the Tatuaje Avion 13 Reserva.
- December 12th 2013: We reported on Torano Family Cigars’ initial plans to re-package “The Brick” .
- December 12th 2014: We reported on the plans to revamp the Avo Cigars portfolio.
- December 12th 2014: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2014, the J. Grotto Anniversary by Ocean State Cigars.
- December 12th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Padron Family Reserve No. 85 Maduro