The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 28 (Edition 177 6/4/16)
Feature of the Week: Jack Torano Rejoins Torano Cigars
Earlier this week, Duran Cigars’ Marketing and Sales Manager Jack Torano announced was departing the company, Torano broke news to Cigar Coop that he was going back to his roots and joining the Torano Cigars brand of General Cigar Company as a Brand Ambassador.
We covered details on two additional lawsuits against the final regulations on premium cigars.
- Altria Files Lawsuit Against FDA Over Use of “Mild” on Tobacco Brands
- Global Premium Cigars Files First Lawsuit from Premium Cigar Industry Against the FDA
On Going Coverage
News and Previews
- Camacho: Details of the new Camacho Liberty 2016 were announced. For the first time, the limited release will be heading to Europe.
- Davidoff: The company announced line extensions to its Davidoff Escurio line including new Corona Gorda and Gran Perfecto sizes to its premium line as well as the new Primeros and Mini Cigarillos offerings. In addition the company announced details of the Davidoff Art Edition 2016.
- Espinosa Cigars: We took a look at the upcoming Espinosa Crema release.
- JSK Cigars: Announced two new lines, Crna Nok and Zlatno Sonce.
- Maya Selva Cigars: The company announced a new box-pressed offering to its Flor de Selva line, the Flor de Selva Maduro Grand Presse.
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The company announced it was expanding into the Australia and and additional European markets.
- Prendelo Cigar Company: Announced two new offerings, Aristocrat and Rosa Blanca.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 165
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, no new co-sponsor were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 59.
- Illinois: Chicago retailer Iwan Ries filed a lawsuit challenging the legality of the recent city tobacco tax.
This month’s editorial was entitled “One Headline-Why Believe It?”
- Rocky Patel Ray Lewis Legends 52
- Espinosa Cream City MKE
- L’Atelier LAT SEC
- La Galera El Lector by IndianHead Cigars
- LH Maduro Lancero
- Quesada 40th Anniversary Petite Belicoso Clasica
No show next week. We will return with Episode 189 on Monday June 6 at 6:30 PM Eastern.
Stogie Geeks Shorts
This week we covered our Top 5 Salomones.
This week we go back to Episode 32, You’re So Coolidor.
On this date June 4th…
- June 4th 2011: We assessed the Viaje Holiday Blend 2010.
- June 4th 2012: We reported on the Emilio Draig K Limited.
- June 4th 2012: We assessed the Boris 11 Connecticut.
- June 4th 2013: We reported on line extensions to the Ezra Zion Jamais Vu and Reagan.
- June 4th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Los Regalos Quetzal by Emilio Cigars.
- June 4th 2014: We reported on the release of the Joya Red by Joya de Nicaragua
- June 4th 2014: We reported on the release of the Tortuga 215 Coyote Negro from Legacy Brands.
- June 4th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Kristoff Galerones Ceniza de Plata 660.
- June 4th 2014: We reported revamping of the Nestor Miranda Collection by Miami Cigar.
- June 4th 2014: We reported on the release of the CAO Sinister Sam.
- June 4th 2015: We reported on shipping of the Flor de D’Crossier Selection 512.
- June 4th 2015: We reported on the release of the Viaje Exclusivo Chiquita 2015.
- June 4th 2015: We did a preview on the Southern Cigar Festival event.