The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8 am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 34 (Edition 235 7/15/17)
Feature of the Week: IPCPR 2017 Takes Place July 10-14 in Las Vegas, Nevada
We at Cigar Coop just completed coverage of the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show in Las Vegas. Stay tuned, as we will have post-game coverage throughout the next few weeks giving you the most comprehensive product coverage in the industry. Be sure to follow our 2017 IPCPR Digest.
IPCPR 2017 Reports
Prior to the show, we published our Pre-Game report series.
- Part 1: A Look at This Year’s Trade Show and Convention
- Part 2: The Trends to Watch
- Part 3: Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
- Part 4: Around the Show Floor
This week we filed the following reports:
- Drew Estate: Jeff Borysiewicz’s FSG brand was launched as a national releases. The company also launched the new Pappy Van Winkle Tradition. Finally, a new series of 4 x 32 vitolas were launched across the majority of its portfolio
- La Gloria Cubana: The company launched La Gloria Cubana Colección Reserva, a collaboration with former brand owner Ernesto Perez-Carillo Jr.
- 1502 Cigars: At this year’s trade show, the 1502 XO Churchill was launched.
- C.L.E. Cigar Company: The C.L.E. Azabache was showcased as a regular production offering.
- Colibri: The company debuted its new Colibri SV-Cut.
- Davidoff: The company gave out its Davidoff 2017 Golden Band Award Winners.
- Emilio Cigars: The company launched its new Emilio LJZ.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company showcased the new revamped Murcielago in conjunction with AJ Fernandez.
- Esteban Carreras: The company launched its new cigar, Mr. Brownstone.
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company launched its new The Wise Man (El Güegüense) Maduro.
- La Palina Cigars: The company launched the new La Palina Number Series. It also launched the new La Palina Classic Natural. Finally, the company added the La Palina Illumination Toro line extension.
- Leaf by Oscar: Jim Robinson and Nick Syris of LH Cigars launched Lavida Isla.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co: The company launched the My Way by Bayron Duarte. In addition, The Oscar Maduro made its debut. Finally, the 2012 by Oscar will receive three line extensions.
- Veritas Cigars: The company showcased its cigars now coming from Fabrica Oveja Negra.
- General Cigar Company: Named José de Castro Vice President of Marketing
- Leaf by Oscar: The company announced a new joint distribution Agreement for the Leaf by Oscar brand with Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new co-sponsors: Walter Jones [R-North Carolina] and David Castoff [R-Tennessee[ were added. The total number of sponsors is now 120.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week there are two new co-sponsors: Glenn Thompson [R-Pennsylvania] and Paul Mitchell [R-Michigan]. The total number of sponsors is now 79.
- FDA: Language for a premium cigar exemption and predicate date made it into the final House Agriculture Appropriations Bill.
Prime Time Show
No shows were held this week.
Prime Time Schedule
Our shows are available on YouTube, Podbean, iTunes, Tune In Radio, and Google Play.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 14 (7/20/17): Tim Cavenagh and Justin Gao Mathson Hansen, Alpha Cigar Company
Special Edition #7 (7/21/17): TBD
Episode 15 (7/27/17): Paul Stulac, Paul Stulac Cigars
Episode 16 (8/3/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
On this date July 15th…
- July 15th, 2011: We assessed the Fonseca CXX Anni.
- July 15th, 2011: We previewed the 7-20-4 1874 Series
- July 15th, 2012: We published Part 3 of our 2012 IPCPR Trade Show Preview – Vitolas and Beyond
- July 15th, 2013: We previewed the Tatuaje Monsters Series No. 6.
- July 15th, 2013: We previewed the Alec Bradley Fine and Rare HJ10-i Second Issue.
- July 15th, 2013: We reported on The Corona Project by Rodrigo Cigars
- July 15th, 2013: We previewed the El Mayimbe by AJ Fernandez Cigars
- July 15th, 2013: We reported on the Don Pepin Garcia Limited Edition 10th Anniversary Cigar.
- July 15th, 2013: We assessed the J. Grotto Reserva Lancero by Ocean State Cigars
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on the Viaje Cache,
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on Viaje Satori 2014.
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on Viaje Collaboration 2014.
- July 15th, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Zombie Antidote.
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on return of the La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro for 2014
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on the Lou Rod Jawbreaker by Lou Rodriguez Cigars.
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on the Lou Rod Snub Nose.
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on the return of the Lou Rodriguez La Mano Negra.
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana 1994.
- July 15th, 2014: We reported on the Double Nickel by Lou Rodriguez Cigars.
- July 15th, 2015: We reported on the return f the Kopi Luwak.
- July 15th, 2015: We reported on Nica Rustica Short Robusto.
- July 15th, 2015: We reported on Tierra Volcan’s partnership with artist Todd White
- July 15th, 2015: We reported on Drew Estate’s new packaging options for the Herrera Estelí Norteño
- July 15th, 2015: We published Part 3 of our 2015 IPCPR Trade Show Preview: Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
- July 15th, 2015: We reported on the CAO Flathead Steelhorse.
- July 15th, 2016: We reported on Debonaire Coronas coming to Habano and Maduro lines
- July 15th, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje Skinny Chuck.
- July 15th, 2016: We reported on the Espinosa Habano Box Pressed Toro
- July 15th, 2016: We reported on the Espinosa Alpha Dawg going regular production
- July 15th, 2016: We reported on the Espinosa Cigars Warhead III
- July 15th, 2016: We reported on CAA, CRA, and IPCPR filing joint legal action against the FDA
Why don’t you report what attendance was like by retailers at the Show. All the videos I saw on FB, was that it looked very light. Only 1 manufacturer so far, said it was the “worst show ever…” Love to hear some honesty!
Brad, we haven’t done our IPCPR Post Game Report as of yet. This will be coming in about a week or two. While I think attendance issues are really somewhat a waste of time because sales numbers are never disclosed, I do think it needs to be addressed this year and will be in the Post Game Report.
We also did discuss attendance concerns in our Pre Game Report. See here: https://cigar-coop.com/2017/06/2017-ipcpr-pre-game-report-part-1-a-look-at-this-years-trade-show-and-convention.html
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I look forward to reading the post IPCPR report. Did you read the FB post yesterday from Todd Wright, the distributor of Falto Cigars? His post was extremely direct, calling this year’s IPCPR the worst!