The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 318 (2/23/19)
Feature of the Week: Festival del Habano and ProCigar Events Held
This week saw two of the cigar industry’s bigger festivals, Cuba’s Festival del Habano and the Dominican Republic’s ProCigar. The XXI Festival de Habano saw many new products unveiled. We reported on the some the stories with more reports to follow next week.
- Hoyo de Monterrey Gran Reserva Cosecha 2013 Makes Debut at XXI Festival del Habano
- Habanos S.A. Unveils San Cristóbal de La Habana 1519 at XXI Festival del Habano
- San Cristóbal de La Habana 20 Aniversario Makes Debut at XXI Festival del Habano
- Short de Punch Makes Debut at XXI Festival del Habano
News and Previews
- Black Label Trading Company: The brand announced the release of the Bishops Blend Vintage 2019
- El Viajante Cigars: The new company announced its first release.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is at 11.
- FDA: The Cigar Trade Associations officially filed an appeal in the lawsuit against the FDA. We will have a further breakdown of things this coming week
- Arkansas: A bill has been introduced that would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Oklahoma: A bill has been introduced that would remove exemptions under the Oklahoma Workplace Clean Air Act. This bill would also remove the exemption for cigar bars.
- Oregon: A bill has been introduced that would increase the tax rate on cigars. This would remove the tax cap and tax cigars at 65% of the wholesale rate.
- Virginia: Governor Ralph Northam has signed a bill into law that would raise the tobacco purchase age in the state to 21.
- Casa Cuevas Edición Limitada Habano Flaco
- Juan Lopez Selección Superba Edición Regional Gran Bretaña
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Davidoff Yamasá Robusto Tubo
- Diamond Crown Julius Caeser Robusto by J.C. Newman Cigar Company
- La Aurora 100 Años Belicoso
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 85 we welcomed Zev Kaminetsky of Royal Agio Cigars as our special guest. We discussed the positives of airport travel inner Debonaire Ideal segment. Finally in our Deliberation Segment hit some miscellaneous industry topics.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #48, our topic was “The Midas Touch”. Plus we discussed the Tobacco Business awards.
Episode 85 (2/28/19): Sam Leccia
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #49 (3/4/19): Festival del Habano Recap w/ Nick Syris
On this date February 23rd…
- Feb 23, 2011: We reviewed the Hoffman House – an exclusive blend to Iwan Ries in Chicago, Illinois.
- Feb 23 2012: We published a press release on Urbano Cigar Bundles.
- Feb 23, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 6 for 2/23/13
- Feb 23, 2013: We assessed the H. Upmann Legacy
- Feb 23, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan (First Edition – 2013)
- Feb 23, 2014: We posted a press release on Bodega Premium Blends and “Power 50” Pre-Oscar Experience.
- Feb 23, 2014: We reported on the Romeo y Julieta to Exclusive “Clasico” Series for Arango Cigar Company.
- Feb 23, 2015: We reported on a Supreme Court decision in the Cohiba Trademark case.
- Feb 23, 2015: We did an Assessment Update on the 1502 Emerald Corona
- Feb 23, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon Torpedo
- Feb 23, 2016: We reported on the Mombacho Magnifico 10th anniversary cigar
- Feb 23, 2016: We reported on the Surrogates Animal Cracker AC550
- Feb 23, 2016: We reported on an update with Edgar Hoill.
- Feb 23, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Las Cumbres Tabaco Señorial Toro Bravo by José Blanco
- Feb 23, 2018: We reported on United Cigar adding the José Domínguez Signature into its portfolio
- Feb 23, 2018: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Black Works Studio Sindustry Robusto
- Feb 23, 2018: We reported on the return of the Camacho Candela
- Feb 23, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 43: Lawrence Miltenberger, Cubanacan Cigars