The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 25 (Edition 174 5/14/16)
Feature of the Week: Continuing Expanded Coverage of the Pending FDA Regulation of Premium Cigars
It was the worst case scenario the cigar industry feared as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced how it intends premium cigars. As a part what the regulations, there was no exception carved out for premium cigars. This past week we continued our coverage on this.
Call to Action
There are two new petitions, one for Congress and one to the White House. Click here for more details.
This is intended to be an educational guide to what the regulations mean. This is an on-going body of work as there are still many unclear items. We will be adding more content in the upcoming days.
- Understanding the FDA Warning Label Requirement for Premium Cigars
- Understanding the Grandfather Date for FDA Regulation of Premium Cigars
- Understanding the Impact of FDA Regulations on Post-Embargo Cuban Cigars
Reaction from the Industry
- E-Liquid Company Files First Legal Challenge Against FDA Over Regulations
- Oklahoma Congressman Cole Responds to FDA Regulations on Premium Cigars
- SaveTheLeaf.Org group has been formed and plans August 8th Peaceful Demonstration in Washington D.C.
News and Previews
- Avo: The brand announced its late installment in the Syncro line, the Avo Syncro Nicaragua Fogata.
- CLE: The company announced the release and details around the CLE Chele and CLE Preto.
- Cordoba & Morales: The company announced plans for the limited edition Cordoba & Morales Finca Santa Fe.
- Davidoff: A new Davidoff Lounge is coming to the Phoenix, Arizona area.
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company has announced its second line, The Upsetters.
- Foundry Tobacco Company: We reported on the recently released Zodipunk line.
- Fratello Cigars: The company announced a new line extension to the Fratello Bianco line, the Fratello Bianco IV.
- Kafie Trading Company: The company who makes Kafie 1901 Cigars is launching Kafie 1901 Coffee in support of CRA.
- Leccia Tobacco: We previewed the company’s next major release, Bumpy Roots.
- Viaje: The company announced three retailers will receive the new Viaje Zombie Biohazard.
- Warped Cigars: The company announced its second installment of its Corto line, the Warped Corto X46.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 163.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, one new co-sponsor, Thomas Massie [R-Kentucky] signed on as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors remains at 53.
- Illinois: The bill to raise the State’s Smoking Age to 21 failed in the Senate.
- MBombay Corojo Oscuro Double Corona
- Davidoff Nicaragua Box Pressed Toro
- Flor de las Antillas Maduro Box Pressed Torpedo by My Father Cigars
- Henry Clay Stalk Cut Toro by Altadis USA
- Paul Garmirian 25th Anniversary Connoisseur
Agile Cigar Reviews
For Episode 186 we welcomed Nestor Miranda and Jason Wood of Miami Cigar and Company. Our Debonaire Ideal segment was on Secondary Cigar bands and we had our Smokes of the Week which included:
- AFR-75 Edmundo by PDR Cigars
- CAO Havana Daydreamin’ Robusto
- Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium Natural Robusto
- Henry Clay Stalk Cut Toro
- Leccia Luchador El Gringo Frog Splash
- Quesada 40th Anniversary Corona Clasica
- Paul Garmirian 25th Anniversary Connoisseur
We published Episode 185 – which included:
- Interview with Justo Eiroa and Bernie Rodriguez, JRE Tobacco
- Debonaire Ideal: Coffin Cigars
- Stogies of the Week
Stogie Geeks News
This week we gave our initial analysis on the regulations published by the FDA.
Thumbnail Image: Used with permission by StogieGuys.com
Stogie Geeks Shorts
On this date May 14th…
- May 14th 2011: We assessed the Perdomo Reserve Champagne Noir.
- May 14th 2011: We took a look at planned limited edition release by A.J. Fernandez Cigars, which turned out to be the San Lotano Oval.
- May 14th 2011: We reported on planned events on the eve of the New York City Outdoor Smoking Ban.
- May 14th 2012: We did Assessment Updates on the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2011 and Flor de las Antillas.
- May 14th 2013: We assessed the Saint Luis Rey SLR Gen² by Altadis USA.
- May 14th 2013: We covered General Cigars’ Freshness Packaging.
- May 14th 2014: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Re+United.
- May 14th 2014: We reported plans for the launch of Jose Blanco’s Las Cumbres Tabaco Senorial line.
- May 14th 2015: We reported on Robbie Streitz being named National Sales Manager at PDR Cigars.
- May 14th 2015: We assessed the Nat Sherman Panamericana Cervantes (TAA Exclusive).