The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 18 (Edition 219 3/25/17)
Feature of the Weeks
This was a big week in industry news…..
Avo Uvezian Passes Away
Avo Uvezian, the beloved brand ambassador of the cigar brand that bears his name passed away on March 24th at the age of 91. We look back at this true industry legend.
Cigar Industry Lawsuit Delayed 30 Days
The court date for the lawsuit filed by the cigar industry’s trade associations against the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been pushed back to August 30, 2017. The lawsuit challenges the Deeming Regulations implemented by the FDA on the premium cigar industry. We got the details here.
Rudy Giuliani Named Keynote Speaker at 2017 IPCPR
At this year’s 2017 IPCPR Trade Show and Convention, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani as has been named Keynote Speaker for its 2017 Convention
- Drew Estate: The company named Stephan Qarimi its International Marker Manager
- Colibri: The company announced its new Firebird V-Cutter.
- Davidoff: The Davidoff Chefs Edition is returning for a limited run. In addition details around the Davidoff Famous 75th Anniversary Exclusive have been released.
- Partagas: The new Partagas Heritage has officially been launched.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company is adding the new 6 x 60 Rocky Patel Royale Sixty
- Southern Draw Cigars: The new Rose of Sharon cigar is now available.
- Viaje: The company has several new releases including the Viaje Ghost Pepper, Viaje Exclusivo Leaded Double Edged Sword, and the return of Viaje Exclusivo Shorts.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week ten new co-sponsors signed on including: Stevan Pearce [R-New Mexico}, Mark Meadows [R-North Carolina], Mike Bost [R-Illinois], Doug Lamborn [R-Colorado], David Roe [R-Tennessee], Bill Huizenga [R-Michigan], James Renacci [R-Ohio], Don Bacon [R-Nebraska], Mark Sanford [R-South Carolina], and Daniel Donovan [R-New York]. The total number of sponsors is now 95.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains 13.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 11 co-sponsors signed on including: Mike Kelly [R-Pennyslvania], Andy Harris [R-Maryland], William Lacy Clay [D-Missour], Francis Rooney [R-Florida], Carlos Curbelo [R-Florida], Billu Long [R-Missouri], Richard Hudson [R-North Carolina], John Moolenarr [R-Michigan], David Valadao [R-California], Tom Graves [R-Georgia], and Mike Coffman [R-Colorado].The total sponsor count is now 32.
- Guam: The U.S. Territory has raised the legal age to purchase or use tobacco products to 21. The new law takes effect in 2018.
- North Carolina: House Bill 435 has been introduced that proposes raising the legal age to buy tobacco products to 21.
- Oregon: The State Senate has approved raising the State’s Smoking Age to 21. The bill now heads to the State House and still requires Governor Kate Brown’s signature.
Agile Cigar Reviews
On this date March 25th…
- March 25th 2011: We assessed the Avo Limited Edition 2011 85th Anniversary (Avo LE11).
- March 25th 2011: We previewed La Gloria Cubana Serie N Day.
- March 25th 2012: We assessed the Viaje Friends and Family
- March 25th 2013: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Mystery Cigar.
- March 25th 2014: We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac to Release Panetela Project “El Catador de las Panetelas”.
- March 25th 2014: We reported on the Cigar News: K.A. Kendall’s Spider discontinuation of the 7-20-24 Spider.
- March 25th 2014: We did a pre-release assessment on the 601 La Bomba Sake Bomb by Espinosa Cigars.
- March 18th 2014: We assessed the Rosalila Mundo Celestial Connecticut by Oscar Valladares Tobacco and Company.
- March 18th 2015: We assessed the MBombay Kesara Toro.
- March 18th 2015: We reported on the The Griffin’s Special Edition Club Series III.
- March 18th 2015: We reported on Roberto P. Duran Cigars and Azan Tobacco Group partnering with Eric Piras.
- March 18th 2016: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo Adds INCH Maduro 8 x 58.
- March 18th 2016: We reported on the Flor de las Antillas Maduro Box-Pressed Torpedo Slated becoming an exclusive cigar Federal Cigar 95th anniversary.
- March 18th 2016: We reported of the release of the Liga Maestro by Mombacho Cigars SA.
- March 18th 2016: We assessed the El Güegüense Churchill by Foundation Cigar Company.
Coop, no more stogie geeks or just taking a break? Shows not the same without you!!
Hi Anthony. Very much appreciate the kind words. I have stepped away from the day to day operations of Stogie Geeks. Some more details here.
Good for you Coop. Nothing against the new co hosts but the level of credibility you bring to the show is a whole different league. First Stogie Santa leaves and now you I’m ready to cry haha. Definitely going to miss your “Stogies of the week”. Best of luck in the new endeavors I’ll be checking out the new shows for sure!!