The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 17 (Edition 270 3/17/18)
Feature of the Week: FDA Issues ANPRM on Regulating Maximum Nicotine Levels
Back in July, 2017 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb announced plans for a program to reduce nicotine levels down to non-addictive levels. This week, the FDA announced an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rule Making (ANPRM) seeking public comment to what the agency is thinking in regards to this program. While the program is aimed at cigarettes, there are questions on how or if premium cigars should be regulated for nicotine levels. When Gottlieb announced the program back in July, the overall question of how or if premium cigars should be regulated as a whole was often raised. The FDA plans a second ANPRM addressing premium cigars in the future.
News and Previews
- Villiger: The company announced the opening of a Villiger Lounge at the ABAM Factory
- 1502 Cigars: The company announced the widespread release of the 1502 XO Lancero.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: Announced the Protocol K9 as the latest Cigar Dojo Collaboration
- GTO Dominican Cigars: The company has announced the GTO Pain Killer MoFo.
- Kafie 1901 Cigars: The company announced the new San Jerónimo Bundle Offering and upgrades to the Kafie 1901 Bundles.
- Viaje: The company announced the return of the Viaje Cache. In addition, the company announced the Viaje Carolina Reaper.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- California: A bill has once again been proposed to ban smoking on state beaches.
- Washington: The proposed bill to raise the smoking age to 21 in the state did not come up for a Senate vote – effectively killing the bill for the time being.
- Camacho Candela Robusto (2018)
- La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2018
- La Rosa de Sandiego Cameroon (Toro)
- Rocky Patel Martinique (TAA Exclusive)
- RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon Black Irish
- Tatuaje La Vérité 2013
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 46, we welcomed Steven Bailey of Cornelius & Anthony as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked epic performances in motion pictures. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we discussed what makes the perfect cigar and how it should be scored.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week, we celebrated the 25th Prime Time Special Edition. Our special guest was Luis Cuevas of Casa Cuevas Cigars. We also discussed the recent closing of the Cuesta-Rey Cigar Bar at Tropicana Field.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
No Show (3/22/18)
Episode 47 (3/29/18): Master Sensei, Cigar Dojo
Episode 48 (4/5/18): TBA
Episode 49 (4/12/18): One Year Anniversary Show with Avo Cigars – Live from Tampa, Florida
Episode 50 (4/19/18): TBA
No Show (4/26/18)
Episode 51 (5/3/18): Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Episode 52 (5/10/18): TBA
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/ Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #26 (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
Special Edition #27 (4/10/18): TBA
Special Edition #28 (4/17/18) E.P. Carrillo
Special Edition TBD (4/27/18): Christian Eiroa, CLE Cigar Company
On this date March 17th..
- March 17th, 2011: We assessed the Illusione 88 Candela
- March 17th, 2011: We assessed the Illusione MJ12
- March 17th, 2012: We assessed the My Father Commemorative 911 by Jaime Garcia Blend 343 10th Anniversary Rosado
- March 17th, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Viaje White Label Project (WLP) St. Patrick’s Day Candela 2011
- March 17th, 2014: We assessed the Aging Room WildPack T248 (WP-1)
- March 17th, 2014: We reported on the Moya Ruiz La Jugada Nunchuck
- March 17th, 2015: We reported on the San Lotano Oval Connecticut Petite Robusto becoming a shop exclusive for Elite Cigar Cafe
- March 17th, 2015: We reported on the Rocky Patel Edge A-10
- March 17th, 2015: We assessed the Viva Republica Edición Limitada Culebra
- March 17th, 2016: We assessed the 1502 XO Toro
- March 17th, 2016: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo’s Federal Cigar 95th Anniversary Cigar.
- March 17th, 2016: We reported on the Tatuaje Black Label Private Reserve becoming regular production
- March 17th, 2017: We reported on Mombacho Cigars’ new packaging for Tierra Volcán
- March 17th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review for the MoyaRuiz Pickle Juice
- March 17th, 2017: We reported on the Davidoff of Geneva’s 2017 Exclusive Editions
- March 17th, 2017: We reported on Habanos SA’s Trinidad La Trova