The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 29 Edition 282 (6/9/18)
Feature of the Week: Possible UPS Strike Could Impact Cigar Industry
United Parcel Service (UPS) workers have voted to strike if a new labor agreement cannot be reached by August 1st. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company announced the Aganorsa Leaf Signature Selection will launch at the 2018 IPCPR.
- Camacho: The brand announced the 2018 Liberty release would be a re-release of the 2005 edition known as the Camacho Liberty 2005 Throwback.
- Davidoff: The company announced its Davidoff Golden Band Awards 2018 nominees.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company announced its three IPCPR releases.
- Leaf Cigars: Jim Robinson’s brand is launching the Leaf by James.
- Lotus Group: The company announced it is launching: Margaritaville and Landshark branded cigar accessory lines.
- Romeo y Julieta: The brand under Altadis announced the Romeo y Julieta 1875 Nicaragua.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Rep. Stephanie Murphy [D-Florida] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 144.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- California: The city of San Francisco has banned the sale of flavored tobacco.
- FDA: Each of the deadlines for the three ANPRMs affecting premium cigars have been extended 30 days.
- AVO 30 Years Improvisation
- CAO Zócalo
- Casa Turrent 1880 by A. Turrent Cigars
- Crux Ninfamaniac Dark
- Viaje Hamaki (2017)
- “How the Nicaraguan Crisis Could Impact the Premium Cigar Industry“
- “Off the Trade Show Distractions Nothing New for IPCPR“.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 55 we welcomed Scott Weeks of Recluse Cigar Company. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we discussed sourcing music and debated some of our favorite acts. In our Deliberation segment, we talked Gimmicky Cigars.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 56 (6/14/18): Industry All Star Panel Discussion
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 33 (6/12/18): “Beyond the Comfort Zone”
Special Edition 34 (6/19/18): Glynn Loope, Cigar Rights of America
On this date June 9th
- June 9th, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment on the Tatuaje Little Boris.
- June 9th, 2012: We reported on Arturo Fuente delaying its 100th Anniversary Celebration until 2013.
- June 9th, 2012: We assessed the Illusione Ultra OP No. 9.
- June 9th, 2013: We published “2013 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 1: The Five Boutiques to Watch“
- June 9th, 2014: We reported on the launch of Warped Cigars’ La Colmena.
- June 9th, 2014: We assessed the La Colonia Miami Robusto Extra
- June 9th, 2014: We reported on Armand Assante’s Cigar Event in Chicago
- June 9th, 2014: We reported on the Epicurean Carnavale, Santeria Mojo and Southern Railroad.
- June 9th, 2015: We reported on Boveda donating 50% sales to Cigar Rights of America.
- June 9th, 2015: We reported on Tierra Volcan ending distribution RoMa Craft Tobac.
- June 9th, 2015: We assessed the La Aurora Puro Vintage 2006 Edición Limitada 111 Aniversario
- June 9th, 2015: We reported on 2015 Davidoff Announces Golden Band Award Nominees
- June 9th, 2015: We reported on the Swag Connecticut by Boutique Blends Cigars.
- June 9th 2016: We made known the Quesada Oktoberfest 2016.
- June 9th 2016: We reported on the Padilla Miami Lancero returning as a limited exclusive for Rodrigo Cigars.
- June 9th 2016: We released a post on Hammer + Sickle ‘s Statement on FDA Rule.
- June 9th 2016: We reported on MoyaRuiz getting a patent for La Jugada Nunchuck.
- June 9th 2016: We assessed the Viaje Holiday Blend 2015.
- June 9th 2017: We reported on the Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Inktome becoming a Small Batch Cigar Exclusive
- June 9th 2017: We reported on the Rocky Patel Vintage 2006 San Andreas.
- June 9th 2017: We reported on the Davidoff Master Selection Series.
- June 9th 2017: We reported on Puritos line extensions to AVO Syncro Nicaragua and AVO Syncro Nicaragua Fogata.
- June 9th 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 9: Riste Ristevski, JSK Cigars.