The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 16 (Edition 217 3/11/17)
Feature of the Week: President Trump Nominates Dr. Scott Gottlieb to be FDA Commissioner
The White House is confirming that President Donald Trump is preparing to nominate Dr. Scott Gottlieb to be the Commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Gottlieb, 44 is a physician, businessman, author, and media analyst. He actually served as a Deputy Commissioner in the FDA from 2005 to 2007. While he is known for his ties to the pharmaceutical industry, Gottlieb has been a critic of over-regulation, and has noted where the FDA has overreached on tobacco and cigars. We got the details here.
Cigar News slowdown? This week was quite a jam-packed week.
- De Los Reyes Cigars: We took a look at the recently released Saga Short Tales Tomo 2-Tales of the Land: Cotui
- AVO: Details of the Avo Improvisation LE17 were announced.
- C.L.E. Cigar Company: Details of the new EIROA The First 20 Colorado were announced.
- Espinosa Cigars / Pure Aroma Cigars: The two companies announced it has ended its distribution agreement.
- Gurkha: The company is planning to release its Cellar Reserve 10th Anniversary Cigar later this year.
- Habanos SA: We looked at the following releases unveiled at the XIX Habano Festival in Cuba including: Montecristo Linea 1935, H. Upmann Sir Winston Gran Reserva 2011, Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales, and the new sizes and packaging of Quai D’Orsay.
- J. Fuego Cigar Company: The company announced it is outsourcing sales, marketing and customer service to Cypress Group Miami.
- La Aurora: The new La Aurora ADN Dominicano was unveiled at the 2017 ProCigar festival.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company unveiled its new Rocky Patel Twentieth Anniversary Maduro.
- Tatuaje / L’Atelier Imports: The two companies have begun shipping its collaboration, Cigar Negociant Monopole nationwide.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week one new co-sponsor Thomas Massie [R-Kentucky] signed on. The total number of sponsors is now 79.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. Recently Senator Johnny Isakson [R-Georgia] withdrew his support. The total number of sponsors is 12.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 13 co-sponsors signed on including Steve Stivers [R-Ohio]. Mac Thornberry [R-Texas], Markwayne Millin [R-Oklahoma], Bill Huzienga [R-Michigan], Adam Kinzinger [R-Illinois], Kevin Yoder [R-Kansas], Harold Rogers [R-Kentucky], Chris Collins [R-New York], George Holding [R-North Carolina], Steve Womack [R-Arizona], Mark Amodei [R-Nevada], James Sensenbrenner [R-Wisconsin], and Bruce Westerman [R-Arizona]. The total sponsor count is 15.
- Connecticut: Three lawmakers from the State have written the FDA and FTC requesting protection of Connecticut Shade Tobacco Labeling
- New Mexico: The Senate has approved a tobacco tax hike. While it still has to make its way through the State House, it is anticipated Governor Susana Martinez will veto it.
- Davidoff 702 Series 2000
- El Centurion H.2K.CT Box Pressed Torpedo (TAA Exclusive) by My Father Cigars
- Illusione Garagiste Robusto
- Jas Sum Kral Crna Nok Toro
On this date March 11th…
- March 11th 2011: We covered a Petition to Fight California’s Smoking Ban Proposal.
- March 11th 2011: Alec Bradley unveiled a new logo.
- March 11th 2012: We did Assessment Updates on the Avo Lounge and Perdomo Reserve Limited Edition Cameroon.
- March 11th 2012: We Michael Giannini’s expanded role at General Cigar.
- March 11th 2013: We did a pre-release assessment of the Recluse Draconian.
- March 11th 2014: We reported on Espinosa’s La Zona Connecticut & Habano 20 Count Boxes.
- March 11th 2014: We assessed the La Aurora Preferidos Diamond Chicho’s Choice
- March 11th 2014: We reported on Global Premium Cigars plans to add 1502 Lanceros and Coronas.
- March 11th 2014: We reported on the Quesada 40th Anniversary line.
- March 11th 2015: We reported on the Tatuaje Event Sampler.
- March 11th 2015: We reported on the Viva Republica Edicion Limitada Culebra.
- March 11th 2015: We reported on the Fratello H-Town Lancero.
- March 11th 2016: We reported on the release of the La Aurora Puro Vintage 2006 111 Aniversario Master Case Series.
- March 11th 2016: We reported of the release of the MoyaRuiz Pickle Juice.
- March 11th 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review of the Herrera Esteli Toro (Tubo) by Drew Estate.
- March 11th 2016: We reported on the Tatuaje TAA 2016.
- March 11th 2016: We reported Viaje and Quesada’s collaboration called Juntos.