The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 9 (Edition 262 1/20/18)
The Cigar Industry Report is Five Years Old
On January 19, 2013, we launched our first Cigar Industry Report. At that time it was originally called “Cigar Week Wrap”. Now five years later, this has remained a constant every Saturday morning bringing to you a recap of everything Cigar Coop from the past week.
2017 Cigar of the Year Countdown
This week we concluded our eighth consecutive Cigar of the Year Countdown. We named the EIROA FIRST 20 YEARS COLORADO 50 X 5 as our 2017 Cigar of the Year!
- #7: Guardian of the Farm Rambo
- #6: Todos Las Dias Double Wide Belicoso by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- #5: 601 La Bomba Warhead III by Espinosa Cigars
- #4: Crux Limitada Show Exclusive 2016
- #3: Gaaja Maduro Torpedo by Bombay Tobak
- #2: La Aurora 107 Cosecha 2006 Corona Gorda Especial
- #1: EIROA The First 20 Years Colorado 50 x 5 by C.L.E. Cigar Company
Prime Time Awards
This week we completed the announcements of the 2017 Prime Time Awards.
- 2017 Person of the Year: AJ Fernandez
- 2017 Small Company of the Year: Southern Draw Cigars
- 2017 Large Company of the Year: Plasencia Cigars
- 2017 Small Factory of the Year: La Zona
- 2017 Large Factory of the Year: Plasencia Cigars S.A.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: Announced a new partnership with Rabbit Air.
- Arturo Fuente/J.C. Newman: Announced it is renaming its joint distribution company to Arturo Fuente Cigar Company
- IPCPR: Promoted Rachel Hyde to Senior Director of State Affairs
- Southern Draw: Announced the release of the Rose of Sharon Lancero.
- Viaje: Announced the return of the Viaje Super Shot and Viaje Jalapeño
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- FDA: A group of Texas-based cigar companies has filed a lawsuit challenging the FDA on Warning Labels.
- Idaho: The proposed bill to raise the State Smoking Age to 21 will return to the legislature.
- Indiana: Rep. Charlie Brown, D-Gary, has introduced legislation that will raise the State Smoking Age to 21 as well as legislation that would remove smoking exemptions from public sites that still allow smoking indoors such as casinos; cigar and hookah bars; fraternal and social clubs; tobacco stores; taverns; and cigar manufacturing plants and specialty stores.
- New Hampshire: State Senator. David Watters and Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley have proposed legislation to raise the smoking age to 21.
- New Mexico: Senator Howie Morales has introduced legislation that would increase the State’s tobacco tax.
- Rhode Island: Governor Gina Raimondo is proposing a raise in the State’s Cigar Tax.
- Tennessee: State Sen. Jeff Yarbro and Rep. Darren Jernigan, are sponsoring legislation to raise the State Smoking (and Vaping) age to 19.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 39, welcomed Mike Bellody of MLB Cigar Ventures as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked luxury cigars and luxury items. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we recapped our thoughts on the Halfwheel Consensus.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 40 (1/25/18): Miguel Schoedel, Crowned Heads
No Show 2/1/18
Episode 41 (2/8/18): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Episode 42 (2/15/18): TBD
No Show 2/22/18
Episode 43 (3/8/18): Michael Giannini, Ventura Cigars Company
Special Edition #20 (1/23/18): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
Special Edition #21 (2/6/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
Special Edition TBD (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
On this date January 20th…
- January 20th, 2011: We previewed the Master by Carlos Toraño BFC.
- January 20th, 2012: We assessed the Oliva Serie V Maduro 2010.
- January 20th, 2013: We assessed the Padrón Family Reserve No. 45 Natural.
- January 20th, 2014: We assessed the Davidoff Madison Avenue 25th Anniversary.
- January 20th, 2015: We assessed the Cigar Oasis Wi-Fi Attachment.
- January 20th, 2016: We assessed the MBombay Corojo Oscuro Perfecto.
- January 20th, 2017: We reported on the Viaje Circa 45 heading to U.S. Retailers
- January 20th, 2017: We reported on Kevin Schweitzer acquiring Vintage Rockefeller Cigar Group.
- January 20th, 2017: We reported on the Toraño Vault E-021 and W-00.
- January 20th, 2017: We reported on a bill that would allow Private Businesses to Decide Indoor Smoking Policy.
- January 20th, 2017: We assessed the Quesada Reserva Privada Oscuro Robusto (Part of the 2016 TAA Exclusive Series).
- January 20th, 2017: We reported on the Davidoff 702 Series.
- January 20th, 2017: We named the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6 as our #3 Cigar of the Year.