The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 329 (5/11/19)
Feature of the Week: Courtney Smith and Todd Vance Out at Cornelius & Anthony
Courtney Smith and Todd Vance, two key players at Cornelius & Anthony, are no longer with the company. The move came yesterday as a result of a shakeup of the sales force within the company. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- Aganorsa Leaf: The Guardian of the Farm Buster was announced as a Casa de Montecristo Houston Exclusive
- Casa Cuevas: The company will launch La Mandarria at the 2019 IPCPR
- Davidoff: The Davidoff Diademas 100 is returning for a limited release as part of the company’s Vault Program.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The Joya de Nicaragua 4 x 32 tins and its 2019 TAA Exclusive Releases are heading to retailers.
- Altadis U.S.A.: The company announced the Trinidad Espiritu.
- Debonaire House: The company will pre-orders of Indian Motorcycle Shade at 2019 IPCPR
- General Cigar: The Hoyo La Amistad Dark Sumatra will Launch at the 2019 IPCPR
- GTO Dominican Cigars: Announced the Corona de GTO 10 Años Daily Regimen Liga 1942 and new rings for GTO Line.
- HVC Cigars: The company has added the San Isidro Divinos
- Kristoff Cigars: The company is adding the Kristoff Shade Grown
- Miami Cigar & Company: The Nestor Miranda Special Selection Rosado is heading to stores
- Micallef Cigars: The company has opened a New Distribution Center and Company Headquarters
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon EMH Don Bosco has been released to Old Virginia Tobacco Co
- Viaje: The Viaje Hamaki and Viaje Hamaki Omakase are returning for 2019.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week five new co-sponsors were added: Jack Bergman [R-Michigan], Bill Flores [R-Texas], Ross Spano [R-Florida], Paul Mitchell [R-Michigan], and Barry Loudermilk [R-Georgia] The total number of sponsors is now at 51.
- Arkansas: The State has become the 12th to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21
- Maryland: Governor Larry Hogan announced he will sign into law a bill that will raise the tobacco age to 21 making Maryland the 13th State to pass legislation.
- Canada: Plain packaging is set to take effect November 9, 2019.
- California: The City Council of Beverly Hills is working through a proposal that would ban most tobacco sales in the city.
- Illinois: The State Senate is proposing raising the OTP Tax to 64%.
- Davidoff Year of the Pig
- Regius Sun Grown Robusto
- Balmoral Serie Signaturas Dueto Gran Toro by Royal Agio Cigars
- E.P. Carrillo TAA Exclusive (2018)
- Tatuaje – The Bride
Prime Time Show
On Episode 94, we had our All-Star Media Panel #5 featuring Eric Guttormson of Cigar Dojo and Seth Geise and John MacTavish of Developing Palates.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #53, we had our Two Year Anniversary Show
Episode 95 (5/16/19) Florida Barn Smoker 2019 Pre-Game Show with Jeff Borysiewicz
Episode 96 (5/23/19) Justin Andrews, General Cigar
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #54 (5/2119): Indianapolis 500 Preview Show
On this date May 11th…
- May 11, 2012: We did a pre-release review of the Solaris by Arturo Fuente – the fourth release of Smoke Inn’s MicroBlend Series.
- May 11, 2012: In conjunction with Stace Berkland from Leaf and Grape, we did an interview with La Sirena Brand Manager, Arielle Ditkowich.
- May 11, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 17 (5/11/13)
- May 11, 2013: We reported on plans for the Rocky Patel Royale and Bold by Nish Patel by Rocky Patel Premium Cigars.
- May 11, 2013: We reported on the L’Atelier Extension de la Racine and previewed the L’Atelier Maduro.
- May 11, 2014: We assessed the Total Flame FTW
- May 11, 2014: We reported on the Sindicato Maduro.
- May 11, 2015: We reported on the La Aurora Cien Años Preferidos becoming an exclusive to Havana Cigar Club in Rhode Island
- May 11, 2015: We did a pre-review on the RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal HN
- May 11, 2015: We reported on the MBombay Habano.
- May 11, 2016: We reported on an E-Liquid Company filing the first legal challenge against FDA Regulations
- May 11, 2016: We assessed the Flor de las Antillas Maduro Box Pressed Torpedo by My Father Cigars
- May 11, 2016: We reported on the AVO Syncro Nicaragua Fogata
- May 11, 2016: We reported on the Viaje Zombie Biohazard
- May 11, 2016: We reported on Espinosa Cigars responding to FDA Regulations
- May 11, 2017: We reported on the Patina Connecticut and Patina Habano heading to U.S. Shops
- May 11, 2017: We reported on the H. Upmann by AJ Fernandez Released
- May 11, 2017: We reported on the FDA releasing its revised Compliance Deadline Schedule
- May 11, 2018: We assessed the 1502 Serious Cigars Edition
- May 11, 2018: We reported on the availability of the Flor de D’Crossier Seleccion Suprema No. 560 and Selection 512
- May 11, 2018: We reported on Quesada Cigars major Executive Restructuring
- May 11, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 52: Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars