The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 359 (12/14/19)
Feature of the Week: AVO Unexpected Line Revealed to be Four Current AVO Core Offerings with Different Packaging
A huge controversy erupted after Avo Cigars revealed that its AVO Unexpected Series was actually a repackaging of the AVO Classic, AVO XO, AVO Heritage, and AVO Domaine lines. We have the details here.
Cigar of the Year Countdown 2019
For the tenth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is doing a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 6, 2020, we will count down the Top 30 Cigars for 2019. Yesterday the Countdown commenced. This week we unveiled selections #29 through #23
- #29: La Sirena Aniversario Especial
- #28: Long Live the King MAD MOFO Corona by Caldwell Cigar Company
- #27: Todos Las Dias Thick Lonsdale Mas Fuerte by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- #26: VegaFina Gran Reserva 2019
- #25: Liga Privada No. 9 Petit Corona by Drew Estate
- #24: Davidoff Florida Selection Limited Edition 2018
- #23: Encore by E.P. Carrillo Majestic
The criteria for the 2019 Countdown can be found here.
News and Previews
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company will launch Aganorsa Leaf Supreme Leaf at the TPE 2020
- Davidoff: The Davidoff of Geneva USA 25th Anniversary is returning as a Vault Series Release. In addition the Davidoff Exclusive 2020 Regional Series was announced.
- Drew Estate: Cigar Safari is returning in 2020. In addition the company shipped Humidified 5-Packs for 10 Lines
- Cigar Box Factory Estelí: Officially announced the opening of its new facility.
- Crux Cigars: The repackaged Bull & Bear has shipped to retailers.
- FDA: The U.S. Senate has confirmed Dr. Stephen Hahn as FDA Commissioner
- Isabela Cigar Company: Announced the Isabela Time-Traveler 2019
- La Familia Robaina: The Ilegal has begun shipping to retailers.
- Mombacho Cigars S.A.: The Diplomático By Mombacho Cigars has begun shipping to retailers.
- Warped Cigars: The Warped Maestro del Tiempo 6102R is returning in 2020.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. TThis week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 84..
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Past Week
Episode 121 (12/19): Kurt Kendall, 7-20-4 Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
Episode 2 (12/14/19): Christmas and Holiday Music
On this date Dec 14
- Dec 14 2010: We unveiled our #17 cigar for 2010 – the Master by Carlos Torano
- Dec 14 2011: We unveiled our #17 cigar for 2011 – the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2011 – Connecticut Shade.
- Dec 14 2012: We posted a press release announcing Epicurean Cigars would now be distributed by Emilio Cigars.
- Dec 14 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the La Musa Mousa by Emilio Cigars
- Dec 14 2012: We unveiled our #17 cigar for 2012 – Alec Bradley Fine and Rare 2012
- Dec 14 2013: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 3, Number 3 (12/14/13)
- Dec 14, 2013: We unveiled our #17 cigar for 2013 – the Davidoff 2014 Year of the Horse
- Dec 14, 2014: We unveiled our #17 cigar for 2014 – the Cohiba Comador
- Dec 14, 2015: We reported on the Quesada Keg 2016
- Dec 14, 2015: We unveiled our #17 cigar of 2015 – Falto 20th Aniversario Los Procesos
- Dec 14, 2015: We assessed the Viaje Jalapeño (2015)
- Dec 14, 2015: We reported on the Viaje White Label Project (WLP) Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Dec 14, 2016: We unveiled our #25 cigar for 2016 – Protocol Lancero by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- Dec 14, 2017: We reported on 29 Members of Congress sending a letter to OMB Director urging a premium cigar exemption
- Dec 14, 2017: We reported on the Cuellar Connecticut Krēmē being rebranded with the Villiger Name
- Dec 14, 2017: We assessed the Warped Black Honey (2017)
- Dec 14, 2018: We reported on the first retailers selected for the Liga Privada 10 Year Aniversario and the Liga Privada H99 Allocations
- Dec 14, 2018: We unveiled the #23 cigar for 2018 – the Alec Bradley Magic Toast Robusto
- Dec 14, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 77: Pete Johnson, Tatuaje Cigars